Backpack size

Nzrob

Hi Guys,
Just wondering what size packs everyone is using? For day hunts I usually stick to a 30 litre pack and from 2-14 days I'm around the 65 litre mark.
So what's everyone using?

Rob

My day packs range from 10 liters to 30 liters. My pack for multi day hunts is 6000 ci or 98 liters, I use this from 2 days - 10 days. If I shoot a deer early in a 10 day hunt I can't fit all my food and camp plus a whole boned out deer inside.

This archery season I began solo bevy hunting. I've been in crazy rough terrain so lightweight was a necessity. I used a Sitka 32 liter. I was able to carry two nights worth of stuff easily and for sure could do more. That includes 100 oz of water and I would strap on my bow. As the weather gets more winter like I think I would need a bigger pack as my 18 oz sleeping bag that stuffs to the size of a large grapefruit would be inadequate and I would certainly need more warm weather clothing. I did however learn that making do with a smaller pack forces you to go light and I definitely like that all day long. Not as much at night but oh well. There is always trade offs.

This archery season I began solo bevy hunting. I've been in crazy rough terrain so lightweight was a necessity. I used a Sitka 32 liter. I was able to carry two nights worth of stuff easily and for sure could do more. That includes 100 oz of water and I would strap on my bow. As the weather gets more winter like I think I would need a bigger pack as my 18 oz sleeping bag that stuffs to the size of a large grapefruit would be inadequate and I would certainly need more warm weather clothing. I did however learn that making do with a smaller pack forces you to go light and I definitely like that all day long. Not as much at night but oh well. There is always trade offs.

This.
It all depends on the conditions and how many people are going for me as gear can then be distributed somewhat. But as it gets colder my weight also goes up.

For 1 day to 3 day trips I use the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab 2685CI 44L anything longer I go with the Kifaru EMR 2 which i can get to 8400CI and 137L.

Both have served me well not the lightest packs but pretty much my go to packs from hunting or to when the SHTF

I use a Mystery Ranch Metcalf (approx. 6000ci with lid cover) for 2 to 7 day hunts and the Eberlestock transformer (approx.. 2500ci) with frame as a day pack. Both will carry everything I need to support my hunt and have the ability to pack out an animal if needed. I would recommend both!

I'm with "Hi desert" on the size of a hunting backpack.

My Osprey EXOS 58 (size L) is actually 60 liters plus 2.5 liters in the two side pockets I've added. If I need to I can add my winter Thermarest TrailPro mattress in its stuff sack to the pack's bottom straps and have more room inside.

My GPS and camera ride in zippered pouches clipped on my shoulder straps. My SPOT rescue/locator beacon is strapped to the top of my pack so it gets a good view of the GPS satellites and the SPOT receiver satellite. (My wife can follow my hiking progress at home on a SPOT website too map. Plus she can get pre-arranged messages from me via the SPOT beacon.)

If I REALLY need a big pack I have an older Dana Designs Terraplane that can extend to 80 liters. (UGH!)

Eric B.

BTW, I carry my rifle on my pack's right side with a Kifaru "Gun Bearer" setup. Very handy for getting it quickly up for a shot. Also good B/C both hands are free for using my hiking poles on steep terrain.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.