Backpack Shopping Help

Kifaru is never the wrong answer to this kind of question IMHO. Personally, i'd recommend a Hoodlum on a 26" frame, two small belt pouches on the hip belt (one on either side), a couple of medium or large belt pouches or a Sherman pocket on the back of the pack bag and a Guide like on top. With that setup you can haul all of your stuff plus the kitchen sink. If you tip something over, separate the bag from the frame to access the meat shelf. Between that and the pack bag, you can load it with more than you want to carry. As an alternative, call Kifaru directly. Their customer service is the best. FWIW, if you decide to go this route, your wallet is going to get sore, but you'll never regret the purchase.

mystery ranch for me seen them at a sportsman show got one fitted been using it your 7 years. I am a big guy tho so I think the initial fitting helped the most with my choice.

I've recently been made painfully aware that I need a new pack system. This summer I decided it was time to take pack training seriously and have slowly been building up my tolerance levels in hopes of packing something big out this fall...
My chosen system - Eberlestock Main Frame w/ Transformer.
I love this pack design and system, but as it turns out, I've got a really long torso for my 6'1'' frame. To give you an idea of just how long, my inseam is a 31''. While carrying loads with my pack, anything under 50 pounds wasn't too much of an issue. 60 began to get uncomfortable and last week I bit off quite a bit more than I could chew. I through two 40 pound sand bags on the pack, minus the Transformer since it's just for training purposes, and pounded out a 6 mile walk. I consider myself in fairly good physical shape, but the next day my traps hurt worse than from any hellish workout I've ever submitted them to. I was unable to push myself off my overstuffed chair for two days because my muscles were too sore. That got me wondering if my chosen system was a bad choice. A good friend who's far more knowledgeable on packs than me and has backpack hunted the past 3 decades offered to "fit" the pack to me and assured me a correct fit would solve all my problems. Long story long, I was already maxed out and still at least 3-4'' too short of the correct fit.
I've got just under $400 invested into this pack and have used the Transformer as a daypack, but have decided to branch out in search of a better option. I will be posting my current setup to the classifieds shortly, at a discounted price (~$300 for the system).
That brings me to my next challenge. Which packs to consider moving forward...?
- KIFARU -
I have several good and very knowledgeable backpack hunters that swear by this company. With so many glowing reviews and happy users, I'm sure they're an excellent choice.
- Mystery Ranch -
As a first responder, I am able to obtain this brand at a significant discount. I've read, but know no one personally, these packs are equally excellent.
- Hill People Gear -
I don't personally know anyone who uses this product, but have read several reviews, watched many product videos, and studied the way their systems are built. I'm leaning hardest towards this company, even with the significant cost savings I would likely incur by going with a Mystery Ranch product.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback any of the experienced backpack hunters have to offer. I have used Osprey for all my backpacking needs up to now and been extremely happy with them, but wanted a dedicated backcountry hunting pack. If I'm leaving anything out, let me know and I'll happily add the details.
It would be a lot cheaper but might I suggest the Alps Outdoors Commander with frame? It is adjustable and has over 5,000 cubic inches of storage and you can remove the pack and use the freighter frame with loaf shelf for packing out. I picked one up on sale at Midway USA for 160.00! It is a nice pack for the money.

I bought a Mystery Ranch Selway this year. I was in the same boat as you. When I got it I loaded it up to 35 pounds and went on a 27 mile hike. Was totally happy with the fit and performance of the pack. I have nothing to compare it to so take it for what its worth. I did have the opprotunity to try one on before I bought it. If you are on Guidefitter, Mystery Ranch is the way to go. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20200827_064349.jpg
    20200827_064349.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.