Backpack knives

Well, as far as I am concerned, especially if you want to go lightweight and not carry a sharpener, HAVALON. I carry both the piranta and the barracuda. You can cut up a herd with them and just a couple of blades. I always carry a heavy duty fixed blade Ruana but that is because it is sentimental and I can actually split a pelvic bone with it.

Randy

Well, as far as I am concerned, especially if you want to go lightweight and not carry a sharpener, HAVALON. I carry both the piranta and the barracuda. You can cut up a herd with them and just a couple of blades. I always carry a heavy duty fixed blade Ruana but that is because it is sentimental and I can actually split a pelvic bone with it.

Randy

Same here, I love the Havalon. My out of state guys are carrying them, my dad & uncles now too. **** hard to beat. The heavy fixed blade still has a place for sure, but nothing in the forseeable future will be replacing my Havalon.

...In fact, I bought a second Piranta to stow in my gear bag.

t

never used a havalon but I have heard good things. I use a benchmade fixed blade and folder and carry a multitool. Im a little anal about having a backup after some of the training I have had. Kinda like that I have a more extensive first aid kit. everyone has their quirks.

Midnight there's absolutely nothing wrong with a backup. I NEVER leave home without a multitool, just some things a guy can't go without :D.

My carry knife is a Pro-Tech Monaco.

t

Havalon has my vote too, I short quarter the animal when im backpacking doing so eliminates the need of a bigger knife to split bones

Havalon piranha is the knife for backpack hunting. just a little FYI, I always carry and use my leatherman to change the blades, those little suckers can get slippery when covered in blood. I will break 1-2 blades per elk ( I bone them right on the spot and prep the skull for a euro mount). I always carry 5-6 extra blades. buy one and you'll love it.

I have a custom moose horn set,skinner caper.When I lighten up I pack a Strider gunner grip tit. folder and a outdoor edge caper

Havalon piranha is the knife for backpack hunting. just a little FYI, I always carry and use my leatherman to change the blades, those little suckers can get slippery when covered in blood. I will break 1-2 blades per elk ( I bone them right on the spot and prep the skull for a euro mount). I always carry 5-6 extra blades. buy one and you'll love it.

Good point Idaho Sawyer---I started doing that after experiencing changing the blades covered in blood. You'll only do that once. Shoulda had stitches but it is truly amazing what one can do with duct tape and super glue.......
AND be sure to get the orange handled one. These are not the kind of blades to be searching for when you forget where you left it.

Randy

I use a Buck knife made for dealing with gutting, skinning and quartering. The Havalon will NEVER be in my pack, it's not the correct tool for the job and we had two guys go to the emergency room this year alone because of these things!!! They are great for skinning out the head and paws but for gutting and quartering they are simply to dangerous, IMO!

+10. You only slip once :D Crazy sharp. The statement about buying the orange handled Havalon is a good suggestion also. Makes it just a little more visible when you "set it down" somewhere:rolleyes:

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.