Backpack Comparisons

So the hunt this year just changed. Went from a guided day hunt through an outfitter to a 5-day backcountry hunt. Guess I need to upgrade to the 4800 or 6400
The 3200 will be tight for a self-supported 5 day hunt. Some guys can pull it off with UL gear, but a 4800 would be a better choice for most. If you haven't yet reached, just email [email protected] and we can get you taken care of on changing out your 3200.

Had an Eberlestock for a few years, packed out some antelope and deer with it. Your concerns are valid. It worked great for carrying a heavy rifle long distances assuming you didn't need to get to it quickly or easily. It worked poorly for everything else. With the built in scabbard, the load was too far off your back. Without a rifle in the scabbard it was constantly shifting around. They're heavy packs and way overbuilt. If your truck was full, you could probably just tie it to a rope and drag it behind to your hunting spot and it would be fine. If you don't plan to use your pack to sled down rock scree, its probably beefier than you need.

I gave the pack away and bought a mystery ranch. I now have three mystery ranches. I can carry more stuff than I did in the eberlestock and have it feel like half the load. I've used the mystery ranch to pack out quartered out but not deboned deer and antelope in single trips. I've also taken two elk out of the mountains with it (definitely not single trips). Money well spent, and not an unreasonable amount of money either (looking at you Kifaru).

Do yourself a favor and take a look at Kifaru and Stone Glacier. Both get rave reviews! If you do a lot of scouting and hunting it's definitely worth the investment. I bought mine nearly new off the Rokslide website classified section at about 1/2 price.

I would also recommend a bag that holds at least 6,000 cu in. You can always cinch down a large bag but if you don't have enough room you are screwed. Also, most 3,000 to 4,500 cu in packs aren't designed for 60 to 100 lb loads. I use my Kifaru to scout and hardly even notice it's on my back with loads less than 45 lbs. 45 lbs is a hefty load with a smaller pack and you'll feel it on your shoulders, arms, and back at the end of the day!

The reason I chose Kifaru over Stone Glacier is that SG didn't offer camo. Kifaru also offers a lot of accessory and bag options once you select a frame.

My pack broke on my first backpack hunt, started doing research and learned about Kifaru. I've owned several bags I've the last five but will likely never run another pack. It carries weight extremely well, very modular, bulletproof, CS is the best in the game, 100% made in the USA. You can buy a lighter pack, but IMO the only other pack that is close to durability is Mystery Ranch.

The 3200 will be tight for a self-supported 5 day hunt. Some guys can pull it off with UL gear, but a 4800 would be a better choice for most. If you haven't yet reached, just email [email protected] and we can get you taken care of on changing out your 3200.
So, I like the 3200 so much and it fits so well I'll probably just keep it and buy another pack. I guess you can't have too many packs .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.