Backing Off Pressure

What powder are you using? 40 grains should not be a stiff charge for the 7-08, unless you are using a very fast burning powder. I would recommend a slower burning powder.
I am using PPU brass and it has about 2 grains less capacity than Hornady brass so starting at 39.7 the load is just starting compress. I started with H4350 and could only fit 37 grains before it was changing my seating depth so I switched to IMR 4064. I am getting acceptable velocities (for me) at 39.3 and 39.7 but need to see if I can improve SD, ES, and group size somewhere in that range. Like mentioned above I am going to do some testing on seating depth to see if that will help.

1642524814783.png

That's a bit heavy compared to what most are shooting in a 7-08 (usually 120 to 140 grain bullets or even lighter). This might explain why you are seeing pressure signs and not getting much velocity.
By comparison my wife shoots a ~130 grain mono and gets over 3000 fps with Varget and no pressure signs in a 22" barrel Tikka.

Im telling you. Seat the ELD's off the lands at 10thousands or less. You can do all the seating tests you want but I bet .010 shoots the best. I would start there and then re-work my powder charge up from starting load. Try and let me know what you find.

FYI I will be loading the same bullets in my 7-08 soon in Texas so I am curious what you find.
James

Im telling you. Seat the ELD's off the lands at 10thousands or less. You can do all the seating tests you want but I bet .010 shoots the best. I would start there and then re-work my powder charge up from starting load. Try and let me know what you find.

FYI I will be loading the same bullets in my 7-08 soon in Texas so I am curious what you find.
James
I plan to load some .010 to test your theory and ill report back.

Keep in mind guys my original question is how much do yall back off a load when you hit pressure?

Keep in mind guys my original question is how much do yall back off a load when you hit pressure?
I think for most here; the objective is not to run the max pressure you can get away with (in the short or long term), but to hit the pressure that is most accurate. So you've logged YourMax, and now back off to an accurate load beneath it (we don't know what that load is).
Do you see what I mean?

I think for most here; the objective is not to run the max pressure you can get away with (in the short or long term), but to hit the pressure that is most accurate. So you've logged YourMax, and now back off to an accurate load beneath it (we don't know what that load is).
Do you see what I mean
I'm following you but the most promising load was at 37.1 around 2400fps which would leave 100-200 fps on the table. I would be happy with anything over 2500fps so my plan is to work up from 37 in smaller increments and see of there is something I missed and that's why I would like to know when I should stop so I'm not wasting components. My goal isn't max pressure but if that is where a node is above 2500fps I want to make sure its safe.

That's a bit heavy compared to what most are shooting in a 7-08 (usually 120 to 140 grain bullets or even lighter). This might explain why you are seeing pressure signs and not getting much velocity.
By comparison my wife shoots a ~130 grain mono and gets over 3000 fps with Varget and no pressure signs in a 22" barrel Tikka.
running 154 hdy through my stryker with 39 I 4895 and she's hitting 2400 fps even in the short bbl.. A pointy 150 at 2700'ish from a normal barrel will make a decent mid range deer pill.

running 154 hdy through my stryker with 39 I 4895 and she's hitting 2400 fps even in the short bbl.. A pointy 150 at 2700'ish from a normal barrel will make a decent mid range deer pill.
Mine is only a 20in barrel to make running a suppressor manageable so thats why Im not expecting to set the world on fire. If I can get 2500fps I would be confident it could get the job done.

If you want more speed than the accuracy node is giving you, drop the bullet weight or try a different powder.

The best way to waste components is to have an accuracy standard, yet you want to chase a certain velocity.

I always choose accuracy and if the velocity isn't what I want, I start over with different components (bullet or powder).

That's my opinion.
Steve

Recent Posts