Backing Off Pressure

Mlutz

How much do yall back off when you hit pressure? I got heavy bolt lift at 40.1 grains with my 7-08.

1-2% charge weight. That seems to never give me a stiff bolt again. As others have said, altering jump changes everything.

I tend to look for bolt lift with bullet in the lands. Then backoff. Then look for seating depth which backs me further away.

Currently seating 30 thousands off the lands and my last sub 1/2 moa group was at 37.1 with every other group close to moa. I am shooting ELD-X's so I am planning to do a seating depth test based of Bergers recommendations for VLD's at 37.1 and then work back up and see if anything changes.

I just got a chronograph so I I should have a better idea of where the velocity nodes are at after my next range visit.

In my experience with all my Hornady bullets, ELD's typically like .010 off the lands. I bet your group shrinks if you seat out longer but of course back off the pressure.

James

You asked and I do things a lot less technical. I only load to half a grain.....just what I do. Based on your info I would do nothing other than try 37.6 if no pressure signs and the accuracy is where you want it.....stuff em and shoot em. If pressure or less accuracy and your getting the velocity you want I would go back to 37.1 and if you want more accuracy ( I would be done) then adjust your seating depth 10K closer if it gets better another 10K. If it got worse the first 10K back it off to 40K off and see what happens. Based on those last groups adjust 5K and see what happens. As I said if it didnt get better, you want to shoot that bullet, powder, primer combination I would load and shoot 30K off and 37.1

How much do yall back off when you hit pressure? I got heavy bolt lift at 40.1 grains with my 7-08.
Keep in mind that we in Texas need to consider our powder's temp stability as well. Your mileage is going to vary on how far you should back off the charge weight and/or distance from lands for different powders.

What powder are you using? 40 grains should not be a stiff charge for the 7-08, unless you are using a very fast burning powder. I would recommend a slower burning powder.

Keep in mind that we in Texas need to consider our powder's temp stability as well. Your mileage is going to vary on how far you should back off the charge weight and/or distance from lands for different powders.
Correct and some important information I left out is on the day I shot it was about 70 degrees out and I am using IMR 4064 so I know I need to confirm the load is safe when it gets hot again.