Backcountry shelter

JonT,

I like Swedish Hilleberg tents but their solo AKTO is heavier and the newer shape ENAN (I think that's the name) needs too many stakes, like the AKTO.

I feel Tarptent's quality is equal to the Hilleberg tents but TT's prices are quite a bit lower and their customer service is much faster.

I ended up using a hammock system this year up in Idaho. Hammock was a simply light designs , Arrowhead equipment underquilt, and a golite top quilt kept me cozy in low 30 degree weather in the timber.

Ah, uke, you ham mockers are a breed apart and I've yet to be "converted". But for wet environments they are very nice. I just can't get my head around cold breezes on my arse all night, even with the best insulation, not to mention swaying in the breeze as the top fly flaps.

I have spent many nights in a canvas hammock crewing aboard the U.S. Brig Niagara, a reconstructed 1813 warship that fought the Battle of Lake Erie. I was always so **** tired at the end of my watch that I fell asleep the instant my head hit the hammock.

Buck
Yes the tipi is hard to beat. I had a kifaru 12 man, but found it too heavy to carry far. It also took alot of real estate to set up.
I'm using the Ti goat 8 man now weighting 6 lbs.

I've used a variety of backpacking tents, but am saving up for a seekoutside lil bug out shelter and vestibule now. That with a stove should allow me to have a lightweight compact shelter in which I can dry out my clothes at night.

I'll say this about "teepee" style shelters.

1. They are light (silnylon versions)... but most have no floors so the ground cloth must be added to the weight
2. They have a nice footprint... but a lot around the outer edges is unusable due to the angle of the tent walls so the footprint size is deceptive.
3. In deep snow you can dig down a foot, compact the footprint area as usual, and have more shelter from winds.

I'll say this about "teepee" style shelters.

1. They are light (silnylon versions)... but most have no floors so the ground cloth must be added to the weight
2. They have a nice footprint... but a lot around the outer edges is unusable due to the angle of the tent walls so the footprint size is deceptive.
3. In deep snow you can dig down a foot, compact the footprint area as usual, and have more shelter from winds.

Some designs have dealt with the above issues such as the WildSide Systems line of tipitents. These double wall designs with integral floor, considerable adjustable venting and ability to convert from a typical tipitent with no floor to one that is bugproof with a double wall deal with the shortfalls of other designs. Of course, with the inner wall with integral floor, they are heavier, but much more comfortable in my opinion--to the point that I (and oz. counting backpacker) am willing to carry the extra weight, especially if using the tipi as a basecamp to hunt out of for several days. These also have a considerably steeper wall than most other designs to deal with the floorspace issue to some degree that Litehiker mentions.

For a summer/early fall super lightweight 1 man tent take a good look at the 2 lb (mine is actually just under 2 pounds) Tarptent Rainbow. With it's 40" interior width, you could actually get two standard 20" wide sleeping pads in it and put two people in there in a pinch. Room to get all your gear (pack, gun, boots) in the tent with you. Have used this many times bear and deer hunting last several years. Combined with a Marmot Hydrogen bag and Thermarest NeoAir X-lite, I have a great 4 lb 6 oz. sleep system.

I really like the DAC tent stakes that Eastern Mountain Sports used to sell as they are very strong and light and nest within each other, but can't seem to find 'em anymore. The MSR Mini Groundhog is probably a good alternative. The regular MSR Groundhog is always a good choice if not a little large for the small one man tents. I do not like the 'arrow shaft' tent stakes. That round profile just has not held for me and although light in weight, they are bulky overall and not that strong.

I've used my granite gear tarp as well along with a sheet of plastic for a ground cloth. Ended us using my military vortex bivy and one patrol bag. K liked the tarp however felt I was in a tunnel with two exposed ends. I guess in early season that would be ok. Still trying to keep the weight down.

I have a Tarptent Moment DW solo tent. Made in Nevada City, California it's one of the few USA made tents. All Tarptents are of silnylon and are of excellent quality and d@mn clever design.

I got the optional crossing pole, shortened it about 5" and now it goes under the fly for much better support against snow loads and high winds. For instructions on this easy mod PM me.

This tent has two doors and two vestibules. The "front" vestibule is large enough to cook in and store your pack to on side at the same time.

It's called "Moment" because it can actually be set up in less than a minute.
The very slightly larger Tarptent Scarp 1 solo tent seems unnecessarily heavy B/C it requires two crossing poles.

But my Scarp 2 is a great lightweight two person tent and can accommodate "3 consenting adults" sleeping head-to-toe.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.