Backcountry Phone/GPS Charging

werth338

I am looking at solutions for charging phone/gps/go-pro units on 7-10 day hunts. I have seen the GoalZero products with very mixed reviews. Does anyone have experience with GoalZero or any recommendations for other products? I am open to the solar panel option or using multiple smaller quick charge units.

I am looking at solutions for charging phone/gps/go-pro units on 7-10 day hunts. I have seen the GoalZero products with very mixed reviews. Does anyone have experience with GoalZero or any recommendations for other products? I am open to the solar panel option or using multiple smaller quick charge units.

Just get a power bank, for that long of a trip you'd probably want it to have at least 25,000+ mAh. I have an Anker 26,000 mAh power bank that will charge my phone like 7 times. Maybe more, I don't think I've ever actually completely drained it. Just know that they essentially large batteries and they can be quite heavy.

Last edited:
My I phone 5 lasted 8 days in the backcountry just by turning it off and running it in airplane mode. Only used it as a camera and to run my shooter app.

Those big batteries are dead weight. IMHO opinion you want a smaller one...mine does 3 phone charges...because you can never rely 100% on solar. But I would look into a solar option to add to it.

I went hunting last year with a guy who was big into the electronics and bought one of those big batteries. That was not his only mistake, but suffice to say, multiple similar decisions not to be judicious about cutting weight made it a very difficult trip...for both of us, unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts