Backcountry build

GetReel

I just got back from a 7 day mule deer hunt in the ND Badlands. I carried my Christensen ELR 300 WM with suppressor the whole time. Not the lightest setup with a Vortex Viper Gen2 5-25x50. Anyway, I want to build something lighter and more compact. I think I want a 6.5x284 with a 20" proof barrel. I plan to shoot 120-130 gr Bullets as fast and flat as possible. Ideally 700 yards and less as I feel that's my ethical range currently. I want a short barrel because I will be running a suppressor.
I currently have a donor rifle I can use but it's a magnum bolt face if I decide to go that route. (Rem 700 300RUM stainless)
Thoughts?

If you already have a magnum long action to work with, then I would suggest a cartridge with a magnum case. The 6.5 PRC would be a great choice but it's currently having issues with brass resizing. Having said that, the 6.5 SAUM and .264 Win Mag would be great choices.

If you already have a magnum long action to work with, then I would suggest a cartridge with a magnum case. The 6.5 PRC would be a great choice but it's currently having issues with brass resizing. Having said that, the 6.5 SAUM and .264 Win Mag would be great choices.
I'd just go with a 6.5 CM. I have one with a 16" barrel (23"with thunderbeast suppressor) and I'm getting 2850fps with a 120 grain bullet. More than enough to reach your 700yards goal and take a deer.

If you have a rum then the bolt face and feed rails dictate a rum diameter case for best reliability.

You could run the 26 nosler with the 156 and still be nearly laser flat or a short mag variant like a 65 sherman max.

Could have some real fun by running a 25 sherm for the 131 blackjack.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.