Back to my roots

We are always glad to enable! šŸ˜Š
At times, I have wondered why you got away from handgun hunting, but just never asked you.
E
Simply to promote my rifles and wildcats. Business decision more then anything. I tried for years to come up with a specialized wildcat for the specialty handguns but pretty much everything was just a repackaging of what had been done many times over. No point in it but have made quite a few pretty crazy specialty handcannons over the yearsā€¦. You got to play with one of the biggest i made!! šŸ˜³

I shot an XP-100 (all stock) for some time in the groundhog fields. I eventually sold it to a buddy that kept it all original. I always liked the center grip platform and just might build me an Ernie-pistol. :)
Center grip is the only way to go in my opinion. Contenders are great and offer low price and alot of chambering options but the xp class of handcannons are the pinnacle of this class for sure.

Nice buck and story!
My roots go back to 12ga slugs, till they allowed pistols. Then a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull was used with a little success. Never could warm up to the hand cannons though but just cant seam to part with the Striker or SRH...maybe it'll come back around?
View attachment 413420
That old 454 is surely a beast. In my opinion, with traditional 300 gr bullet weights, one of the SHARPEST recoil impulses i have ever felt. I generally prefer the 480 Ruger or 50 AE or more recently the 500 jrh. Recoil levels are similar but to my hand have a much slower feel to the recoil. About all i can handle recoil wise. The 454 is a true beast if you can handle it!!

Simply to promote my rifles and wildcats. Business decision more then anything. I tried for years to come up with a specialized wildcat for the specialty handguns but pretty much everything was just a repackaging of what had been done many times over. No point in it but have made quite a few pretty crazy specialty handcannons over the yearsā€¦. You got to play with one of the biggest i made!! šŸ˜³
When we went on that venture (338AX/338 Lapua Improved) I wasn't sure what I wanted, since I had never done anything like that before.
After having it and shooting it, I realized, I should have made it either lighter weight or as heavy as I could, depending on what I really wanted to use it for.
That was on me.
Shooting the 250's out of it is easy, but the 300's did have some recoil.

The 7mm Dakota you built me was shot so much, I cooked the throat.
I killed about everything with that XP, including some LR pd's.
Remember those 200 grain Wildcat bullets?
Now I have a 6.5 WSM that you built-I like having one of your guns in my care

When we went on that venture (338AX/338 Lapua Improved) I wasn't sure what I wanted, since I had never done anything like that before.
After having it and shooting it, I realized, I should have made it either lighter weight or as heavy as I could, depending on what I really wanted to use it for.
That was on me.
Shooting the 250's out of it is easy, but the 300's did have some recoil.

The 7mm Dakota you built me was shot so much, I cooked the throat.
I killed about everything with that XP, including some LR pd's.
Remember those 200 grain Wildcat bullets?
Now I have a 6.5 WSM that you built-I like having one of your guns in my care
Ya those old 200 gr wildcats were something!! I do like the 6.5wsm in an xp platform though. Some say overkill but it does work very well!!

I do like the 6.5wsm in an xp platform though. Some say overkill but it does work very well!!
239302CD-7121-49E7-8645-24366A9AD3C1.jpeg

I have a light weight 6.5 Leopard center-grip XP 100, and now I have this one, which you built.
I think it was first built with a HS precision stock, and when Tom got it, he had Apache put a McMillan put on it.

Took some time off from LRH.com but trying to make more posts these days. Anyway, last year i decided i wanted to get back to my roots and pick up the old revolvers for big game hunting, from 1992 to 2002, pretty much all i hunted with were big bore revolvers or specialty single shot handcannons. In fact, true story, it was a custom XP-100 that i had another builder make for me that actually made me decide to start building firearms professionally because what i ordered was NOT what was delivered. Anyway, thats a different post.

i decided i wanted to get back into big game handgun hunting last year so practiced all summer with my old ruger super blackhawk in 44 mag and also a TC encore in 338 win mag with a 16" barrel. That was more for back up. Got real practiced up with the 44 and was very comfortable out to 125 yards with it shooting some stiff handloads using the 240 gr speed deep curl bonded HP. Wont say the speed i was driving them to, only that its good it was in the big Ruger! šŸ˜³

over the season i had had several encounters with quality deer but never would sneak inside my self imposed 150 yard limit. Could have easily hammered one with the Encore but wanted to use the 44 mag.

finally on one late november cold morning, a very nice four year old i had named rhe G3 buck wondered through the pasture looking for a girlfriend. Called him this because he had very long G3 tines. Ranged him at 120 yards and he ran another 10-15 yards and stopped to lip curl. Took the appropriate hold and let the Ruger bark. On impact the buck was flattened which did surprise me a bit as i had taken several deer past 100 yards with this revolver and never had i seen that result. However, the buck struggled, regained his feed and ran 75 yards before slowing up and laying down. Was a bit nervous, now he was well out of my 44 comfort zone and again, did not want to spoil the hunt by ending it with the encore. Watched him for 2-3 minutes and his head slowly dropped and he rolled over. Gave him a good hour just in case, no worries it was 10 degrees if i remember correctly and walked out to him.

nothing quite like walking up to a good buck you just took with a handgun. Similar to archery hunting but in my opinion, handgun hunting is even more of a challenge then modern archery hunting.

View attachment 412241

one of my better handgun bucks and very happy to have been able to take him. Late story but since its been a while i wanted to share. The 240 gr DC bullet by the way entered just behind the inside shoulder and exited just clipping the offside shoulder. Not really sure why the buck dropped to the shot but punched both lungs and exited so did a great job at what was surely , somewhat reduced impact velocity and energy. The lungs showed good damage throughout entire wound channel. Could have eaten right up to entrance and exit wounds, typical of results past 100 yards with this class revolver.

was great to get another opportunity with my old Ruger. Hopefully more to come in the future. Past 20 years have been spent promoting my custom rifles hunting all over the country but need to get back to more of this as well. Good for my soul!

Great story & shot, but I'm confused about the 44 you said you used & the 44 in the pic? If the pic is correct, I don't think that's a super blackhawk, maybe a super redhawk? And not trying to start any kind of argument, but could you elaborate more on your statement comparing archery & handgun hunting?

Great story & shot, but I'm confused about the 44 you said you used & the 44 in the pic? If the pic is correct, I don't think that's a super blackhawk, maybe a super redhawk? And not trying to start any kind of argument, but could you elaborate more on your statement comparing archery & handgun hunting?
That was a typo, its a super redhawk of course. On the comparison of archery and handgun hunting, that was a comment about my personal experience. Used to do a great deal of pronghorn archery hunting. In practicing i could easily make consistent shots on a 9" paper plate at 125 yards with my bowtech bow. Not saying i would take that shot on game but practiced to plus 100 yards regularly. I shot my revolvers dramatically more then my archery gear at that time and there is no way that i could put a cylinder full of rounds on a 9" paper plate at 125 yards offhand. So in that sense, making a hit at that range, for mem was much easier with my bow then with my handguns.

now that said, off a bench, the super REDHAWK in the pic will easily put six shots into a 4" group, sometimes much less. I just can not do it off hand. Now i realize with archery hunting there is more to it then just hitting the target so please realize my comments were more toward simply making precise hits compared to offhand handgun shooting for me. This also only is considering traditional revolvers, not specialty handcannons, totally different game there.

That was a typo, its a super redhawk of course. On the comparison of archery and handgun hunting, that was a comment about my personal experience. Used to do a great deal of pronghorn archery hunting. In practicing i could easily make consistent shots on a 9" paper plate at 125 yards with my bowtech bow. Not saying i would take that shot on game but practiced to plus 100 yards regularly. I shot my revolvers dramatically more then my archery gear at that time and there is no way that i could put a cylinder full of rounds on a 9" paper plate at 125 yards offhand. So in that sense, making a hit at that range, for mem was much easier with my bow then with my handguns.

now that said, off a bench, the super REDHAWK in the pic will easily put six shots into a 4" group, sometimes much less. I just can not do it off hand. Now i realize with archery hunting there is more to it then just hitting the target so please realize my comments were more toward simply making precise hits compared to offhand handgun shooting for me. This also only is considering traditional revolvers, not specialty handcannons, totally different game there.

I guess I was just thinking about shooting the revolver with a scope compared to the sighting systems on bows. I'm not an archery hunter by no means, but my nephew is an avid bow hunter & I've shot his some. Maybe if I shot it more my opinion would change, but for now I'll take a scoped revolver over a bow any day, a scoped rifle over open sights any day, & etc. I wouldn't be off handing it at that range, I'd have to come up with some sort of rest.
thanks & blessings,
mark

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me. John 14:6, I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. Gal. 2:20

I guess I was just thinking about shooting the revolver with a scope compared to the sighting systems on bows. I'm not an archery hunter by no means, but my nephew is an avid bow hunter & I've shot his some. Maybe if I shot it more my opinion would change, but for now I'll take a scoped revolver over a bow any day, a scoped rifle over open sights any day, & etc. I wouldn't be off handing it at that range, I'd have to come up with some sort of rest.
thanks & blessings,
mark

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me. John 14:6, I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. Gal. 2:20
Yes shooting from a solid rest makes a huge difference for sure.

Recent Posts