Back Pack Hygiene

When I produced a documentary on hiking the Appalachian Train back in the 80's we didn't have wet wipes. Foot and crotch hygiene and just hygiene in general was something I tried to stay on top of. A lot of long distance hikers had to drop out from fugal infections and other maladies of not taking care of their feet, skin and gums.

I changed socks at least twice a day and tried to wipe down as best as I could each night and especially nights where I camped in the reasonable proximity of water. The best thing ever for me was heating some water and Dr. Bronner's Castile soap and washing my nasty hair every 3-4 days; it was the reward I promised myself for making X point in the trip or landmark.

Wet wipes would have been really nice back in the day no doubt and I don't skimp on them now. I just got in five 24 packs from Amazon this week.

I never get "monkey butt" except when I sit in a blind. I can ride my motorcycle for 60 days straight no problem; three days sitting in a blind and I'm ate up with it. It doesn't matter if I wear cotton, merino wool or poly. If you go on Amazon you can order small travel size shakers of Anti Monkey Butt powder which is just about the only thing that works when you need it.

~Robert

+1 on carrying some sort of wipe. not only does it keep me cleaner it helps with chafing as well. When I'm putting on miles and sweating, keeping clean keeps me hunting harder longer. I don't really worry about scent control on backpack hunts because that's not feasible but I feel better being somewhat clean and that helps me be a better hunter.

+1 on some kind of wipe. I carry them in a ziplock with my TP ziplock. There is not much worse than "swamp ***" on a high country remote backpack hunt.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.