RuttingRN

Good evening ladies and gents,

This is my first post so please excuse me if I'm reviving a beaten/dead horse. Also, I apologize for the novel below…whoops.

I grew up shooting and hunting (since I could hold and safely use a firearm). Mind you I was never taught the sciences of shooting, just the basic father son hunting lessons. I have only hunted/harvested elk (as far as big game goes) as the actual tag holder. In 2008 my only and younger brother (10 y/o) passed away suddenly about 2 weeks before my hunt; I was 16 at the time. Needless to say we didn't make it out to hunt that year. Sadly, 2007 was my last hunt/harvest.

Anyways (I apologize for going off topic), I have only hit the range a handful of times since. For elk I shoot a early 2000's Winchester 30-06 w/ Bushnell 3-9x50mm (basic scope) I purchased from a gun show for my first hunt at 12-14 y/o. It has been insanely accurate often outshooting much more expensive rifles probably based off luck not skill.

Finally my questions are…will the scope need complete re-sighting (been in a safe or soft case under bed)? Any precautions before firing (besides the basic gun safety)? I plan on cleaning her good before. Any cleaning tips? Any tips on getting refreshed without bad habits? To be honest I just could use all your guys advice in general. I'm quite nervous as it's my first time back hunting (drew for elk and deer) and will be my first hunt without my father as he is not mobile enough after getting very sick. I'm forcing myself not to find excuses as I think I need this therapy provided by Mother Nature. Throw all your tips this way, I don't care if you wanna give me a q-tip…it's still a tip.

Thank you for reading my novel of a first post. I'll buy you a beer if I see you for having to read this.

-PR (RuttingRN)

Addendum: I do not reload, I will have brass from hitting the range. Most likely will be Remmington Core-Lokt 185gr and/or Hornady Outfitter brass. I'll of course handle the shipping cost. First come first serve…it's a trade off for you giving your advice that's gonna feel my freezer haha. Just message me if you're interested in the brass.

Last edited:
Well, I take a crack at it….If the rifle was put away clean and dry, it is likely ready to hunt. If it was wet or dirty, it may have some rust or pitting that needs looked at. If you have any concern, a local gunsmith could check it out for like $50-$100. In general guns store very well for 20 years.

The scope's age will be more apparent. You just have to look through it and shoot through it to see if it is ok. Try looking through it on a rest and twisting the turrets. Is it moving the reticle?

This will be the hardest part. Get 100-200 rounds of 30-06…same box and start dialing in for hunting. Walmart near me had this much 30-06.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Sometimes the overthinking is the hardest part to overcome. Luckily there are forums just like this one to help shut the overthinking off.

Just go out and shoot it to get reacquainted with it. That will no doubt ease all of your concerns.
Even with high custom rifles, and quality handloads this advice would be true.

Get out and enjoy yourself-sounds like you need it.

Make some new stories, tell them to your dad, we like that stuff.

Recent Posts