Back from a short tour of duty at the Sago Mine in WV

Dave King

I just got back from about 5 days doing security duty on the Sago mine site. Very interesting work, very nice local people and overall an experience I will remember for a long time.

Re: Back from a short tour of duty at the Sago Mine in VW

Is that the sago mine in Virginia West or is it Volks Wagen? Perhaps Vienna Weiners or the Venice Waterways? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave, thanks for your impression of the locals. Although I live in Montana now, I was born, rasied and went to school within 60 miles of there. Mining is a tough life and it takes tough people to endure it. Thanks for helping. Bless you,
Jim

Sorry, I fat fingered the WV in VW, fixed it.

MT4XFore

You're welcome, I would have like to have been there under other circumstances but that was not the case.

I was certainly taken aback by the courtesy. Even at the WalMart the young folks would excuse themselves if they passed in front (crossed in front) of an elder, very respectful.

Not once while I was there was anyone abrupt (local people) and they were most helpful and informative. I didn't get a sence of local vs non-local (except for/toward some press type folks).

Many of the folks at the mine seemed very happy that we were there (security personnel) keeping folks off-site. There were many press vehicles and personnel and of course "visitors" coming to pay respects or provoke trouble (very few). One fella with Florida tags (license plates) came to the site to offer a "15 minute prayer" stating he was a retired miner paying his respects.

On a different note the Westboro Baptist Church plans a 15 person protest mission. These are the folks that protest funerals of the troops killed in Iraq and such. http://www.therecorddelta.com/main.php?story_id=3934&page=23

[ QUOTE ]
Even at the WalMart the young folks would excuse themselves if they passed in front (crossed in front) of an elder, very respectful.

Not once while I was there was anyone abrupt (local people) and they were most helpful and informative. I didn't get a sence of local vs non-local (except for/toward some press type folks).

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the way I have always found people in West Virginia to be. Reminds me a lot of home (Alabama). My grandfather for a while was a coal miner and he was a man who never complained about a hard days work.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.