Back at the bench

RCMSTER

So, I'm back at the bench with my 6.5-06. Think I have a few of my issues ironed out. First off, the chronograph. I tried MNbogboy's idea of putting a box over the top, and cut a pathway for the bullet. I'll be danged if that didnt work. Cut out the erratic readings very well. Even tried it last evening when I was really having issues, and with the covering over the top so no stray light could cause an effect, it was completely steady. As far as the accuracy goes, I ditched the Supreme 780 and the H1000. They might work for some people, but I couldn't get the velocity I wanted, and I wasn't looking for super velocity. I wanted 2850 average. I thought that was reasonable. I opted for Magpro and H100V. 2 powders I had laying around. The Magpro is my go to powder for my Ruger no 1 in 25-06 using 98 grain hammers. The H100V, I bought it, and tried it maybe once, and for some reason, decided I didn't like it. So anyway, using Speer 140 grain gold dots and 55.5 grains of Magpro, my average velocity was 2889, and group size was 3/4". The SD was 40pointsomething, which I have no explanation for, but it shot well enough. Using the same bullet with 48.0 grains of H100V, average velocity was 2895, group size was 3/4", and SD was 7.21. I think this is my load. The 3/4" group could be smaller if a real good shooter got behind the trigger, but I think my ability is about maxed out, other than an occasional crazy good group that seems to appear from nowhere, but hey, it's better to be lucky than good.

Just curious - when you put a box over the chrono do you have cut outside for the sky screens?
What I did was cut out the ends of the box, so what I had was the top and 2 sides. I then placed the box on top of the sky screen supports. The sides of the box then hung down, preventing stray light from interfering with the chrono's job of reading the velocity. It actually worked very well. Is it as good as a magnetospeed or labradar? Very doubtful, but then I'm not trying to write a ballistics book, so I don't really need that kind of accuracy, but I think its accurate enough to give me a fair idea of where I'm at.

Just curious - when you put a box over the chrono do you have cut outside for the sky screens?
This is what I did a couple years ago. Got consistent readings in most all conditions.
image.jpg

No, I didnt do that, but perhaps I should have. I just set the box on top of the support rods. I let the sides hang down, and left it at that. Wasn't really sure what I was doing, I just kind of swagged it, but it seemed to work fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.