Baby Muscle brake test/ Great American 338

hammertyme

The following video is of several specialty handguns with muscle brakes. The heaviest with Leupold 6.5 X20 Rifle scope weighs a shade over 7 pounds. The baby muscle brake is on the 300WSM which is the brown or copper colored stock. 6.5 pounds !

With 70 grains of Rel 17 and the 19" barrel the 130 grain Barnes bullets were trucking along at 3360 or so. The 150 grain Sierra's were running at 3250 with an extreme spread of 6fps with the same charge of Rel 17. Caution: Not all barrels and actions are created equal. Start low and work up.

YouTube - Savage Striker, Patriot 338 Winchester Magnum

Neal

Neal,
Tell the misses that she did a great job of commentating.
Good shooting on your part-Video clips show so much more than just pictures.

Wow awesome pistols. Great narrating and video. Nice shooting in spite of the cold and with the wind blowing pretty good. Really enjoyed watching those bad boys muzzle jump. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Ernie

Your correct, she is one incredible little lady. She is after her doctorate and is taking a statistics class. Sitting with my binder recording data for each gun while taping! Then for the sake of shortening the video she edits out me calling out the velocities. Today was especially challenging for her as the wind chill was at 12 degrees.

A number of viewers have noticed that which is under the grip! Many years ago I quit trucking all my heavy bags to the range. I cut off a jeans pant leg and had Lisa sew up one end. I filled the flat bag so there was about an inch of sand in it and then had her sew it up. I call it my squeeze bag. With Bi-pod up front (very stable) I just squeeze the bag or release for elevation adjustment.

Neal

Hammertyme, thanks for the video!

Is the Baby Muscle Brake a new smaller size of the original Muscle brake? Do you know any of the specs on it in regard to dimensions and weight? Does it have the same port setup as the original Muscle Brake?

Maybe Jim See can speak to this...

NM Hunter

Exact brake in every way but;

It is scaled down from the original for My big fifty (4 ports). Too the Medium (3 ports) 2" long and 1.250" wide by 1" tall to the baby (3 ports), 1.700" long by 1" wide by .750 tall. The small one was for the 223 thru 308 size cases. I wanted to test it on something more substantial so had Jim flattop it without ports on the 300 WSM. Jim said something about crazy and did it anyway.

In watching the video- Lisa's 338WSM has one small port on top so there is a noticable muzzle rise. The baby brake was similer in muzzle rise without any top work. SO I did a third generation port system on top. You saw the results.

The baby brake was designed also for smaller and skinny little barrels typical of many hunting rifles today. Scaled down also means the height and width of the porting has been reduced as well. Again, zero back blast even with the wind blowing in one's face. I would not go larger than the 300WSM case capacity.

I went with a friend here that thought the brake cute and small. He put it on his 9 pound 338 Rifle without top ports. Shooting 250 grain bullets I watched him shoot with anticipated results and was not disappointed. He should have used the MEDIUM brake.

Neal

I am with you there Pitbull. Makes me see red when good hardworking gunsmiths spend a long time testing ideas and then someone comes along, knows a less expensive machinst and starts making and selling someone elses idea for less money. Then has the audacity to claim it as their own.

Muscle brake is one of a kind and came from one person's mind. It was designed by a handgunner for the same handgunner and just so happen's to work well on long guns as well.

I encourage you to Give Jim a call after 1 p.m. Monday through Friday and discuss the muscle brake with him.
Center Shot Rifles LLC
5331 Second Ave
Pittsville, WI 54466
Click here for Map

Ph: (715) 884-2128

Neal

Hammertyme, So you think I'd be pushing it to use the Baby on my 300wm? It'd look good on my .710 muzzle.
What's your "third generation port system on top", one port or more?

Recoil is different for each of us. Are you shooting a rifle or handgun? It does make a difference.

Either way yes I think it would be fine up to 180 grain. I can not say for sure until I put the 180 and 200 grain bullets in. A similar comparison is the recoil of the 338 Win Mag with the Medium muscle brake shooting 200's and 225 grain bullets.

I am completely surprised!!!!!!!!! that the baby did so well. Both the Gen 2 and 3 top porting will be fine. I spoke with Jim and he wishes a picture of the third Generation top porting. It is a lot easier to do and you will have to tell him which kind you want.

Neal

It's a 10.5# 300 win mag rifle with a 24" barrel. I'm currently shooting 165-180 grainers right now, but plan to start load development on 190 & 200 grainers soon. Hammertyme, if you do try 180s & 200s, maybe you could post your results.
I'm not clear on what you mean by Gen 2 and 3 top porting. Can you explain?
Thanks, Randy

Generation 2 has no real top porting. What it does have is very effective.

Generation three has top portings for sure and so far is exceptional.
Based upon the above information I would go with the Medium brake without giving it another thought. My friend was not happy with the baby brake and his 338 WIN MAG rifle. It had no top porting and with the huge remodel going here, all of my machines are stored for the year so I can't help him out.

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.