Baboon culling in South Africa

Tecnam

Good day ...... I joind the forum specifically to get a few ideas and conformaions on a rifle build I am bussy with ....... and so far it has been exceptionally helpfull ....

But something elses ...... I live in South Africa and worked as a P.H full time for a few years ( Hunting is not my profession ) I still hunt more than most in areas all over the country . In the Eastern Cape I have access to a number of large properties and they have a unique problem, Baboons ! . They shoot them on site ! kapish ! . But still there are litrally thousands of them destroying maize crops, killing sheep and antelope lambs etc etc . There numbers have exploded due tio trhe easy availability of food .

I was wondering if there would be a few guys wanting to come over and shoot a few of them , This would be a typicl senario .....
1. Arrive in Johannesburg - catch a connecting flight either to East London or Port Elizabeth . (If our national arrier has nt sorted them selves out by then ...then we travel down by truck + - 900km .... or fly down and send the rifles by road to the destination ...or charter a KingAir .....
2. Bringing your own rifle is the idea ...no fun shooting with someones elses pride and joy. (to do this we would work through a local outfitter . (you need an outfitters letter to temporary import the rifle OR ! we arrange a PRS match and we arrange that you shhot the match, in that way we bring in the rifles)
3. I would say you would need about 5 days to enjoy the trip , so in all , lets say 7-8 days.
4. the group would be broken up into two shooters per group (spotter/shooter ) we would bait a number of areas .... then have hides setup at about 400 -700m ( I guess we would get two chances per spot per day ) ....... 5-6 shooters max.
5. Yes ther would be a fee (day fees which would include transport in the bush (exceptionally mountainous terain) Lunch/Brunch and dinner.
6. If you wanted to take one back (dead) we would need to arrange a CITES permit well in advance .... all primates are CITSES listed . including baboons - however baboons are classed as vermin in many parts of South Africa.
7. we would bait them a few days before with corn ........in areas that are known for baboons ...... yes you would be able to shoot something else but the primary goal would be baboons .

Keep in mind that there are many South Africans that would gladly do this but time is the big issue , also the farmers also shoot them so this would be a way of testing your metal and having a good time for miniml $$$$ .

I did this about three years back with a well known US Hunter from Oregon , he did a normal plains game hunt and the baboons were a "time filler".... initally he was against it but when he saw the number of baboons his mind changed quickly.

If there are interested members ...... PM me with your details ... when I have suffecient then we start the planning ......

Minimum calibre I would say would be a 6.5 creedmore , or something similar that has the equivelent energy out to 700m..... I use a 8x68s which is overkill (excuse the pun) .......but there is no such thing as to much gun.

I couldn't agree more. I have hunted plains game in S. Africa and Namibia and also hunted baboons as a filler in between plains games outings. I highly recommend giving it a try to anyone going to Africa. In my case I found it very challenging, but rewarding. They are a tough animal to hunt - very wary. Since it wasn't a primary target for me we didn't bait the baboons. Had we baited I would likely have had more success. I've also witnessed the destruction to property, livestock and game animals. They are truly a hated animal by the local populations. Vermin is a great description. I have another trip to Namibia planned for May and will definitely be chasing a few baboons while there!

Sounds fun for sure . I've not had the chance to hunt Africa yet hopefully someday . A buddy of mine goes every 3 years. He bow hunts only his most prized kill he's got yet was an old giraffe. Said he wasn't interested in killing one then the guide showed him what big old males can do when the drought hits . It had been killing its competition at a water hole it claimed for its personal drink. There was actually 3 old males that was guarding it and running off or killing anything else that came to the water. The one he killed was dark in color with light stripes absolutely gorgeous animal .
I can guarantee baboons would do the same from what I've read about their habits . If I'm not mistaken they'll eat anything that don't eat them first . And probably kill just for the pure enjoyment of it

Sounds like great fun. How many shots/opportunity do you anticipate each shooter getting per day and what is an approx price??

I am headed to South Africa next year, it will be my first time. I wasn't all that interested in a baboon, now I might have to add it to my list.

i shot this big bugger last year, they are very smart and make for a decent hunt.

Attachments

• DSCN1800 (2).JPG
    DSCN1800 (2).JPG
    456.9 KB · Views: 767
  • DSCN1799.JPG
    DSCN1799.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 795
  • DSCN1801 (2).JPG
    DSCN1801 (2).JPG
    688.2 KB · Views: 857
Do the locals eat the baboons meat...cant imagine much different than a bear....
Can't imagine they look much different than a,bear when skinned and hanging....bears can look very human like when hanging.....kinda look like John Cena....😆😆😆😆

on six hunting trips to africa and botswana i never saw or heard of any locals eating baboons. even tho they do eat odd items.

Attachments

• DSCN8967 (4).JPG
    DSCN8967 (4).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Just think "wolf" every time you pull the trigger on one of those varmints. If they were here they would be worse than a wolf.

There are a few videos on YouTube with respect to this subject. I just randomly came across them a few weeks ago, and thought ... that looks like almost as much fun as shooting kangaroos in Australia.