B-Mag tips

CoachChris

Howdy All, I've been lurking about on the B-Mag threads and just wanted to share a couple of tips that have given me some success.
I'm shooting a standard B-Mag, Accu-Trigger, 1:9 twist with the BSA 17 Super Mag 6-24 x 44AOCP scope.
I ran into all the typical problems that I've read about, ie. crappy stock, poor groups, flyers, ammo issues, etc....
After initial zeroing and break in I took the rifle apart and created a bed for the barrel out of a piece of bicycle inner tube. I laid it in at the last point of contact between the barrel and the stock. I made the tube a little thicker on the left side to shim it a bit where the barrel and the stock touch.
I shot it again and realized the stock was pressing against the barrel from resting on sandbags. I added a bipod. Loading the bipod pulls the stock away from the barrel. This helped a lot. I know I'll probably have to adjust for POI change when I start field shooting.

I've gotten excellent groups with the Winchester 20gr. since these minor modifications. All were shot at 100yds.

I shot the 10:00 group first, the first 2 shots from the 2:00 group where tight, shots 3 & 4 got loose from barrel heat. I let it cool, put another round in the mag and shot the 2 shot 5:00 group.

I shot the 3 shot group near the bullseye. As the barrel heated the next 5 above got progressively worse. I let it cool and tried for another bullseye. I guess I pushed it or didn't let it cool enough?

The 25gr. are all over the place with my rifle. I've given up on those.
I've yet to get my hands on Hornady or Federal .17WSM

I hope this is of help to someone.

thats not bad for just starting. gathering from what you said. heat is the guns worst enemy and maybe poor ammo.

so what opions are there for dealing with heat, other than letting it cool down. you'll spend more time waiting then shooting.

I have the sporter also and have put the boyds stock and a have just added a deresonator. so far im on paper at 100 yrds. I cant remember what grains I was shooting.

so what opions are there for dealing with heat, other than letting it cool down. you'll spend more time waiting then shooting.
Now that I have it grouping well I'm shooting longer ranges at different gongs and targets.
I spend more time accounting for wind so there's more time between rounds.
This has cut down on rounds fired, therefore barrel heat and has eliminated fliers.
All my misses are on me now lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.