B&C medalist vs stocky's LRV laminate

craigmcalvey

hi all,
new to this forum so this question may have been covered but the search didnt pull up too many interesting opinions. I have a lefthand remington 700 BDL long action that i want to restock. since im a lefty, my options are quite limited. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Bell and Carlson Medalist or one of the LRV stocks from stockysstocks. my rifle has the standard sporter weight barrel, so I know the LRV channel will be a little large, but thats not an issue for me. Does anyone have any experience with these stocks? pros and cons welcome.

thanks
Craig

hi all,
new to this forum so this question may have been covered but the search didnt pull up too many interesting opinions. I have a lefthand remington 700 BDL long action that i want to restock. since im a lefty, my options are quite limited. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Bell and Carlson Medalist or one of the LRV stocks from stockysstocks. my rifle has the standard sporter weight barrel, so I know the LRV channel will be a little large, but thats not an issue for me. Does anyone have any experience with these stocks? pros and cons welcome.

thanks
Craig

Craig, first of all, welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here, and a great brain trust.
Now, as far as the stock goes, I recently got a laminated stock from Stockys. It is called the LRT. ( long range target). It is actually a Bobby Hart, long action, pillar bedded, heavy barrel channel. I built a custom 7mm STW, and used this as the foundation. Let me tell ya, this is one fine piece of art!!!! Extremely well built, beautiful hard wood, perfectly laminated. The fit and finish is superb.
Now, as a comparison to the BC stock, I do not own a medalist, but I did own a BC stock at one time , and I believe it was a duramax or something like that. I was not impressed with that stock. I am told the Medalists is close to at least in design as the HS precision. ( but not quite as good).
Depending on what " feel" you are looking for, both have their virtues. I opted for the wood on my last build, and have not looked back. Awesome looks, awesome feel, stable, and very good fit. It dosen't even need glass bedding. My gun shot 1/2 groups @ 200 the day I shot it for the first time. It did the same when it mounted in a HS Precision when I first brought it home.
Sorry for the long read, but there were a lot of variables.

I really like the newer medalist stocks. I have had several and from now on no more HS Precision. HS has to much foam in them and not enough fiberglass/ solid material. On the note of the Laminate stock though they sure do look Nice and are very rigid !

i have a stockys stock its right handed but its for the sporter barrel they sould have the sporter for the long action lefty to. oh by the way these are great stocks. and if you go the stockys way look at the pillers and glass bedding.

thanks for the help guys. i am leaning towards the laminated LRV stock from stockys. according to the infor i have it is inlet for a varmit barrel. my current barrel is the factory standard sporter. i know it would have have a gap on either side of the barrel, but does anyone know roughly how much? my thought was that with it gapped already it would be easier to free float....

thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.