B-78 octogan 22/250

elkaholic

I picked this beauty up today for a good price and think it is probably worth at least $1300. What do you guys think? It is near new condition and has some of the best wood I've seen in one......Rich ( It has an octagonal barrel, not an "octo"!) DSCF0292.jpg

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg

Last edited:
thats purdy, guess you need to make some .224 cal sxr's :D gun). The 22-250 is probably the most fun prarie dog caliber out there. What twist barrel?

You might want to look at the 52 grain speer hp flat base bullets, they are scary accurate out of our howa 22-250 and make a fun show of pdogs. :D gun)

Will do....forgot to mention that the rifle came with new Kelbly rings and mounts, Browning spring loaded swivels, and a couple boxes of brass.....Rich

That's a real pretty rifle.

60 grain Sierra HPs are really accurate in several of my rifles.
They seem to stabilize in everything. (slow twist bolts and quick twist ARs)

Don't be afraid to load them hot. They will stay together.
Also good on coyotes. :D

Nice rifle Rich. I will always have a place in my heart for these type rifles. Especially ones so darn good looking. I had one of these once in 243, but I regret to say I never fired it.

Jeff

Nice rifle Rich. I will always have a place in my heart for these type rifles. Especially ones so darn good looking. I had one of these once in 243, but I regret to say I never fired it.

Jeff

Thanks Broz.....I reallly like the way my other one shoots with the Bartlein barrel in 30/375 S.I. I bought this one from the same guy I bought the other one from. He called me to tell me that he has terminal cancer and needed to sell some stuff so I bought it. He's a great guy and it makes me thankful that I have my health for now! I know it's worth what I paid so I can always resell it, or who knows, maybe it will be a real shooter? These things really do make good long range custom rifles because they are really compact and lighter than what a bolt would have to be to shoot well at 1000+ yards........Rich

That is very nice wood. I recently sold a B78 in 6mm round barrel for $795. But the wood was not like that. They came from the factory with rings and spring loaded swivels.

That is very nice wood. I recently sold a B78 in 6mm round barrel for $795. But the wood was not like that. They came from the factory with rings and spring loaded swivels.

Thanks Gene......I still have a really nice round barrel off of my 30-06 that I built the custom on if anybody needs one.......Rich

not real familure with what the B-78 is, but looks like an 1885 to me. Am I right? If so it's similar to a Hi-Wall. They made a gazillion versions of the Hi-Wall and Lo-Wall, and also different barrels and even a half octagon barrel (seen a couple).

I have a Hi-Wall in 38-55 with the flip up tang sight and the octagon barrel. The wood is satin finished and very nice furnature grade wood. Yours looks like the normal gloss finish. But have never seen one in 22-250. I have seen a couple in 25-06 that looked identical to what you have.

Value wise, I looked at a gently used 45-70 a couple months ago that was very similar to what you have, and I passed on it when they wanted $1000 (I'd have gone $850). Was going to rebarrel in in 40-65 if I had bought it.

I also have a .223 Lo-Wall, and it's kinda like a scaled down Hi-Wall clone (maybe 3/4 the size). Otherwise nearly identical. This rifle has been it's own nightmare from the get go, and it never was actually the gun itself! Odered in new bases and rings from Leupold (I wanted matching gloss rings and bases), and when they came in I put them inside the safe forgeting I even owned the Lo-Wall for several years. I look in my safe one afternoon and see two or three odd rifles on the back row left hand corner! Drag them out for a look see and there is this beautifull Lo-Wall and a MK. V. WBY in 30-06. Plus a commerative 39a with gold inlay and an octagon barrel!! The WBY and the 39A still had the hang tags on them!. Well I gotta get out and shoot this Lo-Wall, and found the bases and rings for it in the safe as well. Bought a mid line scope for it, and set the rifle up in the vise to work on it. The bases looked really nice, but Leupold sent the wrong screws for it (too short). Called them up and the guy at Leupold said they were correct. I told him that it was funny as they didn't work on either the front base or the rear. So he sends me screws that are about a half inch too long, and are the old style. Call him back and he hung up on me! I can make these screws work OK, but never enjoyed cutting off little bitty screws. Out of frustration las spring I called Burris and told them what I was looking for and they had exactly one set in the wharehouse (no longer produced). They gave them to me to get rid of them!!!! So if you need a set of bases you better stat looking. But if you don't mind matte bases, I'm your friend.
gary

Ya, 55 and under would probably shoot the best....

the 14 twist will stabalize the Hornaday 55 grain Vmax and I'm pretty sure the Nosler BT (I think anyway). It's really iffy with the 53 grain Vmax, but have seen a couple 14 twist guns work and a whole lot more that didn't. I kinda always figured that around .26 or .27 was the cut off point with a 14 twist, but nothing scientific in my thoughts.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.