AZ Feral Hog Hunting???

Nvhunter

Well, Too busy at work and I missed some of the Nevada Big Game Draw Deadlines. Fortunately, I did make the deadline for Mule Deer. SO!!! Looks like a good year to locate and harvest some of those Feral Hogs in NW AZ.

Have any of you been hunting this group lately. I am willing to swap hunt information with Active hunters through e-mail but really don't want to broadcast all knowledge in a forum format.

Looks like AZFGD wants this species gone. I hope they taste as good as the Hogs I used to hunt / Trap in Texas.

I know some of the guys who hunt archery in that area have seen feral hogs. As far as Az Game & Fish, they have put out the word to kill the pigs on sight and as many as you can eliminate. There used to be a few in the Rim Country but I think they have been effectively eradicated. Although fun to hunt, they are very destructive to the habitat and other big game species. Personally I could live without the feral pigs ever getting established in Arizona. As was said elsewhere, hunting them is almost futile as a population control method since they go nocturnal and reproduce at 6 months of age. You can't kill them as fast as they can reproduce. Trapping is the best control method.

When the economy gets a little better or i hit the POWER BALL i am difinitely moving to Az in the Tucson area as have family there, had a chance to buy a house next door eight years ago but had to pass on it as couldn't arrange finances at the time money was not liquid enought.

Can you dig up any specifics on the location. I have read about Black Mountain and the surrounding area. I have also seen old track near Bunkerville, Nevada, Just across the Az border near the virgin river.

Wish I had specifics for you but it was a conversation taking place on Bowsite.com (AZ). If you look at the map on this site NFSMS: National Feral Swine Mapping System:::::::::::::::::::::SCWDS LabI think you can get a pretty good feel for where the ferals are in Arizona. This map is updated monthly with input coming from G&FD guys in the field. If memory serves me, I think the guys who saw the feral pigs were scouting in the extreme NorthWest corner of the state. I believe that is the area you are referring to also. As others have stated, if there is very much hunting pressure on the pigs, they will go nocturnal and in Arizona, raccoons are the only animal allowed to be taken at night with lights. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you are correct about the change in habits when pressured. Growing up in NE Texas, Hogs were just part of life, hunting, trapping, etc.

I have been a resident in the Las Vegas valley for over 10 years now. I know very few hunters out here. Most people here think it is rather strange to hunt, harvest, butcher and store your own meat. I guess they have never seen a feed lot or chicken farm.

Anyway, I'm out there for the meat. I got lucky and drew that deer tag I filed for. If I can harvest a hog....that will make for good sausage this winter.gun)

I picked up a 7STW this last year. I still have not decided on using it for deer or not. Deer skin is rather thin, they're more about shot placement than power. I routinely get within 50 yards of the young deer and within 400 yards of the wise old experienced ones. That's close enough for my 30.06 or .44 S&W at close ranges.

Hogs would be a good starting point to use the 7STW. Especially in this area. If any one is interested, I'll be scouting up the Virgin River crossing from Nevada into North West Az and then toward Black Mountain. I'd be glad to share scouting information with others that are putting forth the effort to bag hog.

Summertimes comming. I know hog habits in the heat. They most likely will be active at night anyway due to the heat. Heat keeps em' isolated. They need lots of water and shade. Those are two ithings that are few and far between here in the Mojave. I know and follow the rules in AZ, I can't shoot at night...but I can stalk and wait for sunrise.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.