AZ bans trail cameras

Just cellular so far off their website.
AZ Game Camera

Edit added:
THIS IS NOT UP TO DATE POSTING - MY ERROR GRABBING WRONG PAGE.
===================================

Game and Fish Commission modifies proposed rules on trail cameras

Posted June 13, 2018

PAYSON, Ariz. — In a 5-0 vote, the Arizona Game and Fish Commission agreed to retain the provision that prohibits use of live-action trail cameras for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, but removed the provision that prohibits the use of other trail cameras within one-fourth mile (440 yards) of a developed water source.

The provisions were in the amended Article 3, "Taking and Handling of Wildlife," Notice of Final Rulemaking, which was submitted to the Commission for consideration during Friday's public meeting in Payson.

A live-action trail camera is defined as an unmanned device capable of transmitting images, still photographs, video or satellite imagery, wirelessly to a remote device such as, but not limited to, a computer, smartphone or tablet. This does not include a trail camera that records photographic or video data for later use (such as on an SD card), provided the device is not capable of transmitting wirelessly.

The unanimous decision, reached following a thorough public input process by the Commission and the department, has prompted a Supplemental Rule Making process that will include a 30-day public comment period beginning in July.

The final rule will be presented to the Commission at its Sept. 21 meeting at the Navajo County Heber Complex, 2188 W. Country Club Drive, in Overgaard. The Commission then could take action on the remainder of the Article 3 rulemaking proposals.

To track the progress of this rule, view the regulatory agenda and all previous Five-year Review Reports, and to learn about any other agency rulemaking matters, visit www.azgfd.gov/rulemaking.

Last edited:
Yeah since last February it hit the preliminary vote but this was the follow-up for the upcoming seasons.

It says posted June 13, 2018...look for the vote today on June 11, 2021 and see what you come up with?

The "guides" and people selling info to guides via live action cams in state or from anywhere in the US is one of the issues. There are many.
My hunting friends use the SD card cams and get nice pictures, but reliability to establish a pattern has not materialized due to pressure before and during hunts.
Moving cameras off of water holes may help reduce pressure on wildlife in a normally dry state, but I don't think it can be quantified accurately.
I don't use them. I don't have a problem with SD cams. I have a problem with people selling Intel off cameras while they sit at their desk looking at info 5 states away. These people may be looking at multiple states at the same time.
Having been a victim of an unscrupulous guide, I got a real problem with taking trophy wildlife when it goes to the highest bidder, from anywhere in the world. Getting a tag in a good unit is tough here. Having an animal you've been studying on the ground for months, taken away by large sums of cash to a guide using purchased Intel, just grates on my nerves.
That's not fair chase.

This is all I could find so far on their website.

The final rulemaking for both proposals will be heard at the June 11 commission meeting in Payson. At that meeting, the commission can approve either of the two final rules or terminate rulemaking altogether. Any change to the current trail camera rule will not go into effect prior to Jan. 1, 2022.

So far, there is nothing posted if the rule was changed.

At some point the animals need a break and some quiet space. You got guys heading out to shed hunt in February through April then late May and June the camera's go up. Archery season follows and goes through late season rifle and or muzzleloader into November. 9 months out of the year people are in the hills. That's a lot of human presence and pressure. Not sure what the answer is but something has got to give.