Awww Crap! I need some primer help.

PantherCreekFarms

I was just about to start on my load development for my new 110 FCP HSP .338 Lapua Magnum and I realized that I have the wrong primers! What I was going to load with was the Federal Gold Medal Match Large Magnum Rifle primers (GM215M). But I realized that my entire case of 1,000 is GM210M, the same Match primers but for non Magnum.

I remember now when I was developing my 300 Win Mag load, the guy at Georgia Arms (where I buy most of my components) said that the Match grade primers (GM210M) should work for my 300 Win Mag and H1000. I have gone through about 500 rounds so far of my 300 Mag with those primers and I'm very happy with the load and my accuracy.

Course it was 10-15 years ago that the GA Arms guy convinced me to try them and I completely forgot about it. I hadn't bought any primers for my 338 LM load, because in my head I just figured I had the GM215M primers, arg!

Has anyone used the GM210M primers for 338 Lapua Magnum loads? I ask, because all of my local contacts are out of these primers and it will be weeks before they get any (if that) and all of the online stores like Wideners will take weeks themselves to get caught up on their back log (plus the extra hazardous freight tax). I can wait I guess, but I have the whole week of Christmas off and was hoping to finalize my load and get doing some Long Range shooting.

Here's my load so far:
  • New Lapua Brass
  • Nosler AccuBond 300 grain Bullets
  • Federal Gold Medal Match primers GM215M (though I have GM210M)
  • And 5 varying loads of Hodgdon H1000 powder to find the best load
    • 88.0 grains x 5 rounds
    • 88.5 grains x 5 rounds
    • 89.0 grains x 5 rounds
    • 89.5 grains x 5 rounds
    • 90.0 grains x 5 rounds
What do you think?

What can you get for mag primers at present??? Wlrm and standard 215 are just about identical to the 215M and both are usually more available. The Lapua is getting rather big for a standard primer. I usually go to mag primers at 50 grains powder or so here in ND, so that's about all I have for primers, save for a case of 210's for the 22-250.

You could probably get a bit coarser in your grain weights too with your rifle. The lapua will burn 100 grains of powder and 1/2 grain is really a fart in the breeze to it. In my 300 rum I usually use two grain steps until I get in the ballpark then wander in at a grain here or there.

Last edited:
Thanks Lefty.

I will definitely rethink the .5 intervals. I had just narrowed it down to the 2.5 grain range that I saw was most affective. I could just do 3 different loads with 2 different lands within each (5 rounds each):
- 88.0 grains 0.015" off lands
- 88.0 grains 0.025" off lands
- 89.0 grains 0.015" off lands
- 89.0 grains 0.025" off lands
- 90.0 grains 0.015" off lands
- 90.0 grains 0.025" off lands

As info my 300 Win Mag load used 83.0 grains of H1000 compressed and always shot awesome with the non magnum, but Match grade large rifle primers (GM210M). That was the main reason I asked, since 83.0 grains of H1000 seemed to do fine with that primer.

Good news! Adventure Outdoors has the Federal GM215M primers and I'm going there during lunch. I buy most of my guns from them, but until now never any reloading components.

I have had a few lapua's and the best shooting one shot 215M primers, but I had a BA that shot almost as good and I was shooting RL17 and 210's out of that one. so I don't always know that mag primers are a must depends on the the powder mostly I guess.

While I was at Adventure Outdoors over paying for the primers I needed, I checked and my Gun was in!!

I'm in love with that heavy fluted barrel and HS Precision stock

And it did have 3 sling swivel posts like the 111 LRH (even though the person at Savage said it didn't come with any like the picture on their site)

I already took the stock rail off and put the new one on. But I'm waiting to do the rings until my lapping/bedding kit gets in.

SWEET gun. I can't wait to know her inside and out ;-)

Some time ago I read on here where a dude got one hole results when he tried the CCI BR-2 primers. (Think it was a 338)

I will try them some day cause I stopped in OKe-city on my annual CO ELK treck and picked up a (1K) box cause I'm to poor to pay for shippeng fees on the stuff. Them bad boys were $52/k but your and my GM215M were only $34/k. Might be worth a try....one hole would be good.

But, remember Grandpa 1949 - "Son, The first shot is the important one - the others just make him run faster"!

he had a lot of other good things going to shoot like that, doubt the primers were the main reason for it ;-) The only place I use CCI is primers is making military spec .223 rounds; just my preference. I have had excellent consistency with Federal Gold Medal Match primers and see no reason to try anything else :rolleyes: Course who knows, if I don't get the results I'm looking for, I may just try 100 of them.

I am in the same boat, I recently went to Cabela and bought the GM210M. The outfitter said it would work but I was skeptical. I came home and did some research (reference books, online etc. and everyone seems to use 215, 215m). Now I am unsure what to do.

My current load was very similar to yours;
265 Barnes LRX - 78-82 grains Rotumbo.

I had 1 1/4 MOA (3 rd group) at 200 yard and was really hoping to pick up 215m again. This is with your dream gun to buddy, the 110 FCP HS Savage, Bushnell Elite 5x15. Trig real low.

I noticed some discrepancies within my spent casings, don't know if they are serious or not but still enough of a consideration for me because I am an anal scientist that wants the best for that gun.

Tell you what ill do. I am gonna load up the 6 rd of GM210M at 78.25 gr Rotumbo and see what happens. I don't wanna do to much because of the finer grained Rotumbo (perhaps IMR 7828 would be better) and i'll get back to you with the results.

Unless someone else here can tell me this is a bad idea?
(BTW: just created this account because of this situation, hope it works out.)

FindingWaldo gun)

I am in the same boat, I recently went to Cabela and bought the GM210M. The outfitter said it would work but I was skeptical. I came home and did some research (reference books, online etc. and everyone seems to use 215, 215m). Now I am unsure what to do.

My current load was very similar to yours;
265 Barnes LRX - 78-82 grains Rotumbo.

I had 1 1/4 MOA (3 rd group) at 200 yard and was really hoping to pick up 215m again. This is with your dream gun to buddy, the 110 FCP HS Savage, Bushnell Elite 5x15. Trig real low.

I noticed some discrepancies within my spent casings, don't know if they are serious or not but still enough of a consideration for me because I am an anal scientist that wants the best for that gun.

Tell you what ill do. I am gonna load up the 6 rd of GM210M at 78.25 gr Rotumbo and see what happens. I don't wanna do to much because of the finer grained Rotumbo (perhaps IMR 7828 would be better) and i'll get back to you with the results.

Unless someone else here can tell me this is a bad idea?
(BTW: just created this account because of this situation, hope it works out.)

FindingWaldo gun)

What are the discrepancies in your fired casings??
I'd use more primer for retumbo than a 210... especially at ~80grains like you are at... Cold weather ignition with a mild primer and a rather heavy powder charge can be very erratic too so I try to use more rather than less for primer.

Lefty7mmstw[/QUOTE said:
Well, from watching overcharge signs via youtube. Some of my primers have a very small bulge around the tip, but do not fill out the primer pocket or flatten completely (could be normal). Also, with the casings, there appears to horizontal stretching lines (perpendicular to the length axis)? Had these with my hornady brass, now there are appearing in lapua brass. Again, is it normal? I should add some pictures. But, everything is shooting fine otherwise.

I haven't loaded the Gm210M yet, I found some fed 215 and stuck with them (Bought 4x 100 packages. Might just give my 210 away to step dad.

Attachments

• 20141218_112737.jpg
    20141218_112737.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 145
  • 20141218_112352.jpg
    20141218_112352.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 151
Waldo based on those pictures you look ok to me. That is the primer beginning to flatten a little. The horizontal marks are nothing to worry about by the looks of it, they appear to me to be surface markingsfrom the chamber. Horizontal lines yo worry about come from oversize chambers with too much headspace that cause the brass case head to separate...impending separations can be seen when a bright horizontal line on the case forms, indicating very thin walls there and a case head that will come off. You can actually feel this by bending a paper clip into a thin "L" shape and running it into the case and using it like a feeler gauge along the inside of the wallof the case. You'd feel a dip in the wall there where the bright line would be. I don't think that is what you have.

As far as the regular primers I think mag would be best but if the ammo isn't real cold I think you will be ok until you get some. The danger is hangfires...it is likely if they hangfires that it would be a very short hangfire, but if you do get a long one obviously just stay pointed in a safe direction and wait. The danger with hangfires is people either come off target to investigate or they open the bolt as the round goes off.

KYpatriot, thanks for the info. Like I said, i pay very close attention to my reloading. I am trying to do my best to reach out to 1000 metres with accuracy and precision. Its a learning curve but I am learning.

On a other note: girlfriend wants to come out and shot the big gun. Guess firearms build relationships. :)

FindingWaldo gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.