Awesome, different ,and cheap wildcats...

banjo318

Hello everyone, i have a want for getting into long range target practicing. I want a show it off cause its badass and big piece, not like 50 bmg big like 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag big. I am about done setting up my 7mm rem mag for long range hunting, and long range fun. I am looking for something most perferably in 284 diameter. i dont like the ultra mag because you only get about 2 times the recoil and use 2 times the powder with about an 8 percent increase in performance... I always liked the look of the weatherby mags. but i am looking for something that is big, efficient, different, and something that has cheap cases, not like 338 lapua expensive, it doesent have to be like 8 bucks for a thing of 50 but at least under 50 bucks for 50 cases. I am looking for something pretty dang fast... im looking for the 220 swift of 284's. As i shoot trap, i am pretty much okay with recoil until you get into anything bigger than the lapua for recoil... I mean everyone freaking uses a 308 winchester at the local long range gun range... would the 7stw be a good choice? Again im looking for something with badass name... i would like something that is also available in a factory rifle perferably... But i can have a new barrel made for it... thanks guys. Happy holidays.

Hello everyone, i have a want for getting into long range target practicing. I want a show it off cause its badass and big piece, not like 50 bmg big like 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag big. I am about done setting up my 7mm rem mag for long range hunting, and long range fun. I am looking for something most perferably in 284 diameter. i dont like the ultra mag because you only get about 2 times the recoil and use 2 times the powder with about an 8 percent increase in performance... I always liked the look of the weatherby mags. but i am looking for something that is big, efficient, different, and something that has cheap cases, not like 338 lapua expensive, it doesent have to be like 8 bucks for a thing of 50 but at least under 50 bucks for 50 cases. I am looking for something pretty dang fast... im looking for the 220 swift of 284's. As i shoot trap, i am pretty much okay with recoil until you get into anything bigger than the lapua for recoil... I mean everyone freaking uses a 308 winchester at the local long range gun range... would the 7stw be a good choice? Again im looking for something with badass name... i would like something that is also available in a factory rifle perferably... But i can have a new barrel made for it... thanks guys. Happy holidays.

Most of this is mutually incompatible.
220 swift but no ultra cuz of effeciency loss so no ultra.
Cheap brass is doable but not in combination with a super fast 7mm thats not an ultra.
You want it in factory rifle? But its a weird wildcat? HMMMMM
A 7mm ultra will be about all the horsepwer you will easily get but you said no. That leaves the STW which has many of the same issues as the Ultra + same brass issues, mainly its crappy.
A 7mm-338 lapua would be cool and trendy but not factory stuff.
a 7mm excalibur= no factory but would be neat
allen mags=$$$$
So if its not an ultra its a 7stw.
If you relax the factory rifle part then there are a lot of options.
The 7mm-338 rem ultra would be fun as would the lapua case.
An excalibur would be just an absolute monster with the 195 pills...but so would the ultra.

I think the 195 bergers will finally make the 7mm ultra a real gun. Neck down the new 338 EDGE brass to 7mm and whammo! They should have built the 7mm Ultra with the 338 Ultra as the parent case instead of the 300 ultra.
a 7mm-416-cheytac uhhh no factory and talk about inneffecient

How about .284 Thor ... at least for the badass name ?

finish-02-look-down.gif

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/my-new-284-thor-61222/

I like the thor....coolest name so far. And the norma case adds the sex factor. Another option might be the 7mm hsidkapb which is a 20mm blown out and improved necked down to 7mm.
HSIDKAPB=Holy Smokes I Didnt Know About Powder Bridging.

How about .284 Thor ... at least for the badass name ?

finish-02-look-down.gif

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/my-new-284-thor-61222/
COuld you give me some details about that thor? It just sounds badas..... And to the first guy that posted, Do you realize that having 100 338 lapua brass that is unprimed with no powder or bullets will set you back about 250 bucks? Im not looking for ultra super fast, just like the stw but in a badass name. I was just wondering if there were any cool wildcats that i wouldnt have to buy a barrrel for.... because when i buy a barrel i tend to over do it and get some 1000 dollar barrel lol... I might take a ride down to allens place and see about getting me an allen magnum. But i like the sounds of that thor...

please keep in mind im not looking to do any sales immediately, i need to finish up building my 7mm rem mag first.... I just need a new bolt handle, some engraving, and a couple parts ceracoated. Can i get instruction on how to post a picture? I need some ideas... Also im almost pretty much dead set on a shooting times westerner, but the brass is often out of stock :(. that brings me to the 7mm weatherby... what kind of advantage in fps am i getting with that and the rem mag?

COuld you give me some details about that thor? It just sounds badas..... And to the first guy that posted, Do you realize that having 100 338 lapua brass that is unprimed with no powder or bullets will set you back about 250 bucks? Im not looking for ultra super fast, just like the stw but in a badass name. I was just wondering if there were any cool wildcats that i wouldnt have to buy a barrrel for.... because when i buy a barrel i tend to over do it and get some 1000 dollar barrel lol... I might take a ride down to allens place and see about getting me an allen magnum. But i like the sounds of that thor...

Sorry but RH300UM is better person to answer your query on the .284 Thor.

BIG AWESOME AND CHEAP...... would you like me to spoon the cake into your mouth for you? Joking aside, have you at all concidered a smokeless powder muzzleloader? Brass is about as cheap as it gets, BIG and COOL is there too. Today's smokeless front loaders can be had in calibers as small as 6mm and as big as .50cal. The most common seem to be .45's and they are right in line with a .458WinMag on the power scale launching a 275 grain bullet at 3000fps. Bad Bull and Swinglock come to mind first but there are others. Richard Franklyn offers a DVD with plans on building one with a M700 action and DSS Custom as well as D&T Custom offer conversions for a T/C Encore if you have one of them. They seem pretty neat to me and are very accurate. Give it a thought

there is alot of 7mm rem mags that are cheap at the local gunstore. There is one 7mm ultra mag there, it is one hell of a nice deal at only 600 bucks with a break and stainless barrel, There is also one 6.5-284 norma that is set up all tactical with a break, karsten adjustable cheekpiece and a picitini (sp?) rail for only like 800 bucks. but i want something where people go wow... Ive had several people ask if my hunting gun chambered 7mm rem mag was a sniper rifle (it is set up just like one with a thumbhole stock)... I want the same with the next build... I am kinda leaning toward another 7mm rem mag because of the cost and the simple wow factor of it. It will take everything in north america with proper bullet selection, and take a cape buffalo with some nice bullets and a perfect shot. and dont say a 22 will take one down with the right shot... it has up to two inches of the roughest thickest skin you will ever see in your life... Im just looking to put holes on paper at a mile... and i know a 7mm rem mag is more than capable of doing so... if a 308 winchester can put em on paper at a grand and a half... so can a 7mm rem mag... Ill post a pic of my 7mm rem mag if i can find a picture of it on my computer haha... My wife has the keys to the garage and shes at work. : /

Just my 2cts! Ever thought about a 7/300 win mag? 300 win mag necked to 7mm! All you need is a 7mm necking die an yur there! You can even use the action you got now. Very simple! Go to the tread ( Does anybody own a 7/300 win mag) I think you will like it! Hope this helps!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.