Availability of 300gr ammo for the .338 win mag

Machiel

Hi guys

My name is Machiel Jacobsz from South Africa. I'm not that involved on long range varmint hunting, I use my 338 for a wide range of hunting activities.

Last hunting season I shot an eland (moose size +) at about 280 meters(306 yards)using a 275 gr speer rn,and achieved full penetration lengthwise, (2meters). I also used the same load for 350 + meter shots on springbuck.

Speer no longer manufacture the 275 gr bullets and I want to start using 300 gr bullets but can only find 2 types. Woodleigh and Sierra, neither of which I have much trust in.

does anybody know of any other manufacturers out there that produce this gr bullet
confused.gif

Lapua offer a wide variety of .338" bullets for long range hunting and Military Snipers - perhaps they produce something close to the 300gr which you favor.

SIERRA, HORNADY XTP & SPEER supply 300gr bullets, and Sierra's 300gr was originally a 320gr version, if that much bullet interests you. I'll bet some suppliers over here still have the 320s in stock.

GOOD LUCK!
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.