Automatic Dive Watches?

YZ-80

Hi all,

I'm currently researching dive watches and want to get an automatic (self winding) this time around. I'm not a diver but like the rugged look and durability that these types of watches have to offer. Pictured below is the Seiko Quartz diver I've been wearing for 30 years.

A Submariner is out of the question (I'd rather do 2 custom builds!) but I'm looking at the Luminox Scott Cassell series, the Tag Heuer Aquaracer series and the Seiko Prospex series of watches. I'd kind of prefer a blue or green dial and the band can be stainless or rubber. I'm interested to hear from anyone that has one of the these types of dive watches and what you like or dislike about them. A picture of you watch on your wrist would be great too! Whiffy says I can spend up to 1,800 and I think I can get something nice easily within that price range. Thanks in advance for any input!

25916B0F-2D6B-47FA-B249-E8C1CC5FA454.jpeg

I love my Oris Titianum diver series--great watch that takes a licking. I've had a panerai 1950 flyback for sometime--great watches and right now Panerai's are not bringing a premium. Still pricey though.the toughest self winding watches that are inexpensive are Vostok great watches that are built like a tank. If your looking for investment--get a Rolex...my Hulk is worth 20% more than when I bought it...

Last edited:
Sub or go home. Seriously tho don't get it as an investment. They're only worth more if you leave it In the safe and don't wear it. Selling is NOT easy. Buy it and enjoy. Tudor has the lower end sub homage View attachment 208873View attachment 208874
Wow! That's looks like some hard use but she cleaned up nice! I can't tell you how many times I lost (and luckily found) my Seiko in a gut pile after taking it off to field dress a deer and forgetting about it! The Submariners are beautiful to be sure but I just can't justify the 5 figure price. I suppose I could look for a Hulk used but I'd rather spend the coin on something that goes "Bang!" Thanks for the pictures!

Yep Hulk is a sub with a green bezel and face, two more watch brands you should take a hard look at one is Ananimo and Ball...both are reasonable in price and tough as nails...I own a ball super orbital it is a little heavy but I wear it for dress every now and again

Hi all,

I'm currently researching dive watches and want to get an automatic (self winding) this time around. I'm not a diver but like the rugged look and durability that these types of watches have to offer. Pictured below is the Seiko Quartz diver I've been wearing for 30 years.

A Submariner is out of the question (I'd rather do 2 custom builds!) but I'm looking at the Luminox Scott Cassell series, the Tag Heuer Aquaracer series and the Seiko Prospex series of watches. I'd kind of prefer a blue or green dial and the band can be stainless or rubber. I'm interested to hear from anyone that has one of the these types of dive watches and what you like or dislike about them. A picture of you watch on your wrist would be great too! Whiffy says I can spend up to 1,800 and I think I can get something nice easily within that price range. Thanks in advance for any input!

View attachment 208642
Luminox is a great watch I pound the crap out of mine and still runs

I am thinking you missed the part of his post that said his Wife said he could spend $1800. Don't think Rolex has anything at that price point, unless it's from a shop owner in a back alley in Cozumel. I did see a couple for $100 in a shop on my last cruise there.
I thought you could get a Tudor for that price but after checking I see they are still several thousand dollars. Same with Omega.

Maybe just keep an eye on a reputable used watch site to see if anything you like pops up. If you plan on actually wearing and you might as well get one used as a scratch up pretty quick. I wish I had bought used.

This was after only 2 weeks of wearing

Attachments

• 3BE0F181-B3FD-4BDD-9BD1-A66A8EF957A5.jpeg
    3BE0F181-B3FD-4BDD-9BD1-A66A8EF957A5.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
In that price range, have a look at Oris and Hamilton. Possibly Deep Blue.

I have been happy with my Invicta Pro Divers, though they are in a much lower price range. The cheaper ones have Asian movements but some have Swiss movements.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.