Australian gun laws

CBH Australia

I occasionally get some members here or on an African hunting site that ask about Australian gun laws.

It seems that some people have the misconception that Australia banned guns in 1996.

You know , our politicians have a misconception that America has a gun problem. Something along the lines of you are all gun mad with too many firearms in the community, too many shootings, machine guns readily available. Yes , machine guns not AR15 type semi autos. If it looks like an M16 it must be a machine gun right?

So in Australia we had a nutter plan and execute a massacre on innocent civilians at a popular tourist destination Tasmania. Port Arthur, an old convict facility.

He did have an AR15, and others I think.

The result was a knee jerk reaction to try tougher gun laws.

FederalGovernment banned semi auto rifles and shotguns for the majority of recreational shooters. Pump action shotguns were also banned.

The result was many guns were surrendered to the buy back scheme. The government collected heaps of guns and paid out a heap of cash. Subsequent Amnesty's secured more firearms.

While control is tighter private ownership is still high but the restriction s tightened and the penalties are tougher.

Handguns have always been a target shooting only proposition for the majority. The rules have tightened and 10mm is the max calibre allowed without an appropriate permit. There is a standard for minimum barrel length on handguns. You can own numerous handguns if you follow the rules of club attendance and participation.

Police in my state are issued .40 cal Blocks.

There are different categories of rifle licence. From a category A allows the use of rimfire and shotguns. Cat B is Centrefires rifles and you need to provide genuine reason why a centrefire is required. Target shooting, Pest management, Hunting. Perhaps show you have permission to hunt private property or that you are in an Approved Club.
You can own numerous rifles and shotguns if you state they are to be used under the condition s of your licence.

Category C is a pump action shotguns or semi auto rimfires and is mostly farmers who get these. Maybe some people who use a semi auto shotgun restricted to 2 shots in competition due to medical exemption with evidence from a Dr.

Category D covers all of C and also some semi auto Centerfires for contract shooters and government agencies for culling etc more difficult to get .

Overall it's more restrictive than before and may require some evidence of "genuine need" when applying.

While we don't see any benefit of these restriction s we have to live with them.

SKS AND SKK rifles were imported in the 90s and very cheap , so was the ammo. That is. Part of what the government wanted to get rid off.

Something like an AR15 or other pistol grip semi auto was never permitted In my state but allowed in others.

Initially I think the intent was to remove semi auto rifles under the guise of Military type semi autos but they banned the lot so things like a Valmet, Browning and other quality sporter rimfire and Centrefires were banned.

We still get out and shoot, to a degree it has maybe increased club numbers and people on the land still maintain guns for farm use, pests/humane destruction etc

It seems like the US is pretty tight on Hunting or its managed by tags etc.

We don't shoot native animals except under permit to cull or Kangaroos are harvested by proffessional shooters who gain approval and tags from a wildlife Dept who manage quota s bit Kangaroos are abundant and the industry is managed

I occasionally get some members here or on an African hunting site that ask about Australian gun laws.

It seems that some people have the misconception that Australia banned guns in 1996.

You know , our politicians have a misconception that America has a gun problem. Something along the lines of you are all gun mad with too many firearms in the community, too many shootings, machine guns readily available. Yes , machine guns not AR15 type semi autos. If it looks like an M16 it must be a machine gun right?

So in Australia we had a nutter plan and execute a massacre on innocent civilians at a popular tourist destination Tasmania. Port Arthur, an old convict facility.

He did have an AR15, and others I think.

The result was a knee jerk reaction to try tougher gun laws.

FederalGovernment banned semi auto rifles and shotguns for the majority of recreational shooters. Pump action shotguns were also banned.

The result was many guns were surrendered to the buy back scheme. The government collected heaps of guns and paid out a heap of cash. Subsequent Amnesty's secured more firearms.

While control is tighter private ownership is still high but the restriction s tightened and the penalties are tougher.

Handguns have always been a target shooting only proposition for the majority. The rules have tightened and 10mm is the max calibre allowed without an appropriate permit. There is a standard for minimum barrel length on handguns. You can own numerous handguns if you follow the rules of club attendance and participation.

Police in my state are issued .40 cal Blocks.

There are different categories of rifle licence. From a category A allows the use of rimfire and shotguns. Cat B is Centrefires rifles and you need to provide genuine reason why a centrefire is required. Target shooting, Pest management, Hunting. Perhaps show you have permission to hunt private property or that you are in an Approved Club.
You can own numerous rifles and shotguns if you state they are to be used under the condition s of your licence.

Category C is a pump action shotguns or semi auto rimfires and is mostly farmers who get these. Maybe some people who use a semi auto shotgun restricted to 2 shots in competition due to medical exemption with evidence from a Dr.

Category D covers all of C and also some semi auto Centerfires for contract shooters and government agencies for culling etc more difficult to get .

Overall it's more restrictive than before and may require some evidence of "genuine need" when applying.

While we don't see any benefit of these restriction s we have to live with them.

SKS AND SKK rifles were imported in the 90s and very cheap , so was the ammo. That is. Part of what the government wanted to get rid off.

Something like an AR15 or other pistol grip semi auto was never permitted In my state but allowed in others.

Initially I think the intent was to remove semi auto rifles under the guise of Military type semi autos but they banned the lot so things like a Valmet, Browning and other quality sporter rimfire and Centrefires were banned.

We still get out and shoot, to a degree it has maybe increased club numbers and people on the land still maintain guns for farm use, pests/humane destruction etc

It seems like the US is pretty tight on Hunting or its managed by tags etc.

We don't shoot native animals except under permit to cull or Kangaroos are harvested by proffessional shooters who gain approval and tags from a wildlife Dept who manage quota s bit Kangaroos are abundant and the industry is managed
Thank you for the information. Here in the States, people of lower income can still afford to hunt with firearms in most cases. How does that compare with Australia?

It's possible, depends where you live and who you know.

I'm on average wage as I have changed jobs. I have multiple rifles and it took time to get to this point having raised kids etc. Most of my hunting has been shooting on private property. Rabbits, pigs, goats, foxes , Dingoes.

Depending on the factors of the time location, budget etc.

I went to South Africa once ona management hunt. Total cost Inc travel about 11k or say 8k US.

A week's wage here might get you a New Howa on special, depends on your priorities a bit I guess.

A Howa and a Leupold might be had for $1000 from a large retailer who does specials. Go hunting.

If you live in the city it's different, again of you know someone or you can hunt public land the fuel might cost more than the ammo.

A trip out west would cost more than that Howa/Leupold. Combo. Again, I use the word Priorities, depends what you want most. I have up smoking when the kids were young, saved for stuff and my only international holiday/hunt was at age 48.

There is always secondhand gear too. So I would say a low income earner can hunt and own firearms.

I don't live in the city, I own my home in a country town so that's a blessing but the rest I really think is about what you want most and striving for a goal.