ATV advice

Yeah, that's sort of like Ford claiming the F-150 is the #1 selling truck, yet you see way more Chevy 1500's running around.
I think some of this is regional to an extent. Around where I live, there's a good mix between Chevy, Ford, and Ram. If I go into Vermont I seem to see alot if Fords. When I travel to northern NY I see way more chevys. Actually around here where I live theres probably more rams and chevys. I drive a 2017 ram so maybe I notice rams more who knows.

Depends where you are at. I see way more Fords, Dodges and Toyotas in my area.
I've owned them all, so as far as gas-burner half-tons I'm not brand-loyal...Although up to 2018, I prefer the looks of the Chevys...The 2019's are friggin hideous. But as far as diesels go, I only trust a Cummins. Seen way too many Durasmacks wash cylinders and crap injectors, and don't even get me started on every Ford diesel engine after they dropped the 7.3 Powerstroke (Ford's last good diesel).

You see a lot more Chevys down here in the south. Plus, Ford's prices on the new F-150's down here are ridiculous.

There are some great machines out there, but for hunting and rough country work, there are four things that are critical to have on your machine. It must be 4 wheel drive. It must also have a low and high range transmission. It must also have locking axles. You will also want a winch. That being said, there are a lot of things that make it nicer, easier to work with or more comfortable, at a price, but if you are looking for something pretty basic that will do the job at a price you can afford, make sure that your machine has those four things and that they work.
I know that there are several good machines out there that work well. I have had experience with Honda, Yamaha and CanAm, and they are all good. However, I do have a favorite, and that is the Yamaha Grizzly. I have been in places where the trail was very rough and steep, and I wondered how I was going to fare, but my Grizzly is solid and has the power to make it work, and I have never had to walk out. None of the grizzlies under 450CC come with the Low Range or Locking Axles, so if you want a grizzly, start looking at 450CC and up. Mine is a 450, and though it is not as powerful as the larger ones, it is very maneuvrable and has sufficient power for what I need.
Good luck with your search! I hope you find a good, solid, dependable machine!!

Is there a ride a little, wrench a lot crowd?
Unfortunately, yes, there are way too many of the sort. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and do a fair amount of side work on dirt bikes and quads to help support my own habits. It never ceases to amaze me what I run into on the ones that come in for "just a service". Sprockets missing teeth to wheel bearings that don't turn on bikes, more than one missing air filter and belt drive case packed full of mud on quads.

Unfortunately, yes, there are way too many of the sort. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and do a fair amount of side work on dirt bikes and quads to help support my own habits. It never ceases to amaze me what I run into on the ones that come in for "just a service". Sprockets missing teeth to wheel bearings that don't turn on bikes, more than one missing air filter and belt drive case packed full of mud on quads.
Unfortunately I know a few people like that. I just shake my head

I sold my first Honda 3 wheeler in 1989 because I thought i needed a bigger machine to a friend. It was a 1983 Big red and he still has it and likes to show me how it still runs after 36 years. He does all the routine maintenance on it but has never touched the engine and transmission.

When I owned it, I did the same as another member, I pulled the trailer
that I hauled it on to haul corn and stands out on the lease and sometimes other hunters that would otherwise have to walk to their stands. Even though it was only 250cc it could do amazing things.

No brackets or parts have broken and the only thing that is beginning to show age is the finish. That is what I call dependable ! It is the only original ATV that I know of that is still running great and does the job.

I think it will out last Me :)

J E CUSTOM

The answer here is:
D. all the above

for example, some say they would never have a Polaris and yet some say they are the best. It is like the question, what caliber is best for XXX?

The answer here is:
D. all the above

for example, some say they would never have a Polaris and yet some say they are the best. It is like the question, what caliber is best for XXX?

Well, not to put to fine a point on it but there are people who say a K car was great and folks that think Lexus are crap. Their K car might not have given them issues or their one Lexus might of had major problems but over all the K cars were a truly lousy car and Lexus has a well deserved reputation for quality.

Same applies to the Polaris argument; most guys have been willing to give them credit for their strong points like ride, speed, options but anyone who has owned a repair shop or done a lot of wrenching on many types of quads can very easily tell you how unreliable and prone to expensive repair they are. I have NEVER met a quad repair mechanic or shop that puts Polaris at the top of their want to own personally list. Those two top sports are always Honda or Yamaha.

and very un-mechanic friendly they are to work on. seems like their engineers try to find ways to hinder the wrench turner. they are better now than they were in the 90s. we doubled the shop rate to work on them back then. Seems like when Polaris started the RZR - Ranger line of UTV's the atv's got better and I do like the Ranger side by sides for working

Last edited:
I've owned them all, so as far as gas-burner half-tons I'm not brand-loyal...Although up to 2018, I prefer the looks of the Chevys...The 2019's are friggin hideous. But as far as diesels go, I only trust a Cummins. Seen way too many Durasmacks wash cylinders and crap injectors, and don't even get me started on every Ford diesel engine after they dropped the 7.3 Powerstroke (Ford's last good diesel).

You see a lot more Chevys down here in the south. Plus, Ford's prices on the new F-150's down here are ridiculous.
Fords 6.7L diesel is a great motor. Closest thing to a 7.3L in reliability. The 6.0L and 6.4L had tons of issues. That's why Ford and International quit their partnership and Ford went in house to build their own Diesel engine. We have a handful in our fleet with 200,000 miles or more and they have been solid.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.