Attn: Utah boys, we have scored!! Please read

goodgrouper

Finally, after years of being left out of most shooting sports because of the lack of a decent, accomodating range, Utah gets her first official 1000 yard NRA/NBRSA sanctioned range. And while they were at it, they threw in a 600 yard and 100 yard range and also a cowboy action town and law enforcement range!

It is not quite done yet (probably another month or so) but 90% of it is completed already. It costed a whopping 4.1 million dollars but it was money well spent. I have seen lots of ranges and this one takes the cake. For sure the best range west of the Mississipi. Makes Missoula look like a back alley.

The location is great. Inbetween a few desert mesas and NOT AT THE MOUTH OF SOME CANYON OR IN A WIND TUNNEL LIKE ALL THE OTHER RANGES IN THIS STATE!

It is located near Hiawatha, Utah which is near Price, Utah. It is exactly 15 miles from downtown Price. It's about a 1 hour and 50 minute drive from Utah county and slightly over 2.5 hours from SLC.

Range fees are not known at this point, but whatever it is will be worth it guaranteed. This is truly a state of the art facility. It has a special center building on the firing line that is enclosed and even HEATED! A super nice club house with kitchen and foyers and bathrooms is there. A great big trailer turnaround and camping lots are behind the clubhouse. Power will be run down to the target/pit crews for a possible PA system or lighting or both. And, everything is handicap accessible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only problem is that the land was purchased from Conoco/Philips oil company and they still own easements and power rights to the land. And they are HUGELY ANTI-GUN, ANTI-SHOOTING, ANTI-SECOND AMENDMENT and are giving Carbon County officials and private investors a huge headache to complete the last few things. So, we all need to contact the Carbon County office and let them know that if they (finish)building it, we will come. We need to get going on this so that the NRA and NBRSA can give it their endorsement and we can start shooting there ASAP. So please, please, please, get involved with this and make your voice heard. If Conoco/Phillips has their way, they might just shut it down before it gets going! Once they found out the land was going to be used for a shooting range, the reportedly wished they hadn't sold it.

So you can see what kind of caliber this range is, I took lots of pictures of it. To the dial up guys, I apologize because this is going to take awhile to download but it will be worth it so be patient. Give them a look and then get on the phone and be heard!

hiawatha1.jpg

hiawatha2.jpg

hiawatha3.jpg

hiawatha4.jpg

hiawatha5.jpg

hiawatha6.jpg

hiawatha7.jpg

hiawatha8.jpg

hiawatha9.jpg

hiawatha10.jpg

hiawatha11.jpg

hiawatha12.jpg

hiawatha13.jpg

hiawatha14.jpg

hiawatha15.jpg

GG,

This sounds awesome! What would say the altitude is? Any idea what the winds will be like? You mention the target area and pits, swinging targets; aka is it like Hobble Creek and the ability to have pit crew/s communicating back and forth to the line/shooters?

Thanks for the report and please keep us aprised of any new info as you obtain it. Any contact info for the world to contact the range operators?

I tried to get an elevation but my gps is broke. I would guess it's somewhere around 5000 feet.

We were there for about 2 hours and there was not even a puff of wind the entire time. Can't say it will always be like that but it looked pretty sheltered by the mesas around it. Definetely won't be like Hobble creek! And since it is set up to shoot to the north, the sun will always be at your back and bright on the target. No more staring into the sun to shoot!

Yes, it will be like the Lee Kay center or Hobble creek as far as the pits and targets are concerned.

I have not been given any phone numbers yet but I did speak with the county commissioner's secretary this morning and she gave me this web page that has an email address on it at the top of the page. I think it would be good if everybody sent an email to them and let them know we are interested in shooting there ASAP.

Here's the link:
http://www.carboncountyutah.com/projects/shootingrange.htm

From the Site Plan listed on the Website, the shooting positions are at an elevation of 6542ft

Edited to add: I found it on Google Earth 39deg 31' 35" N, 110deg 57' 47" West

Don

[ QUOTE ]
I really think I'm going to have to sell my house here in N.C. and move.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the hippies had the right idea back in the 70's. I can imagine it now, a commune dedicated to shooting!

Don

Looks great Grouper!!!

Now when I can't find you I'll know right where to look!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif----RHB

Wow, I guess it really is up there! I just found the range on Google earth and put the pointer right over the firing line and it said el 6542 dead nuts on. Anyone know the el at Raton, New mexico? I guess I could just put the pointer over it like I did this one.

Bullets fly pretty nice when they are launched above the mile high mark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Btw, the satellite pic of the range must have been awhile back because they don't have the 600 yard range built yet or the 100 yard benches. You can also see a bunch of heavy equipment in there working on the 1000 yard range. Pretty neat!

[ QUOTE ]
I really think I'm going to have to sell my house here in N.C. and move.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, suddenly I feel the urge to move southwest about an hour and a half. Price is lookin' good..........

This range is ( when completed, a world class venue ).
A bit out of the way but well worth the trip.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the hippies had the right idea back in the 70's. I can imagine it now, a commune dedicated to shooting!

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as there's some women there toting guns too, I'm all for it!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts