ATLAS Bipod: Which One?

KU_Geo

Looking to pick up an atlas bipod to put on a tikka. Definitely am going with the quick detachable mount and forend rail. Trying to decide between the V8 or the PSR. General use practice shooting and mountain hunting here on CO and various destinations for sheep/goat.

I've got the V8. It's worked well and is super stable. I've used it on my 300 Nosler and 6.5 PRC for both range time and various hunts. It took me some time to get comfortable with maneuvering it since I've always had Harris bi-pods and they are 100% different. Expensive but high quality and works well.

Would you suggest the Harris over the atlas? I know you can get a quick detach adapter for the Harris as well. I just leaned toward the atlas do to the smaller size/less bulky.

If the V8 still has rotating legs I would look at the PSR or CAL. On certain surfaces the V8 can run away from you. After using both extensively I prefer the CAL, I'm not a fan of the panning feature on the PSR but some guys love it so it's personal preference.

I've been running the Atlas PSR- tall, with the ADM-170-S pic mount for a few years, and love the thing. I don't think there's anything out there that would make me want to switch. Used Harris for years prior, and will never go back to harris on my primary rifles as long as I have an Atlas around.

Only advantage to the tall Harris pods I've found is if you want to shoot from sitting position to shoot over brush, in certain situations.

Would you suggest the Harris over the atlas? I know you can get a quick detach adapter for the Harris as well. I just leaned toward the atlas do to the smaller size/less bulky.
I definitely prefer the Atlas now that I've gotten comfortable with how it functions. If you asked me the first few months I had it, I would have said otherwise.

Went through the same process. CAL Gen 2 just seemed to be a better fit than the PSR. Came from a Harris, but found the bit of spring and tension made spotting shots more difficult.

Altus over the Harris in my opinion. Less bulky and gives you more options to position your angles.

**** I wish I was reeding a bipod for various destinations for sheep and goat. I have both. Atlas is way better but I think if I were galavanting around to various sheep and goat destinations I'd probably go with the Spartan. I'd have the flush socket installed in my stock of my sheep and goat rifle, or one for my sheep rifle, and one for my goat rifle.

Atlas PRS or Cal with RRS adapter to quickly attach/detach with Picatinny or Arca. Recently got the Cal and prefer it to the PRS because it locks down and I think is more stable. Don't miss the panning at all.

Atlas PRS or Cal with RRS adapter to quickly attach/detach with Picatinny or Arca. Recently got the Cal and prefer it to the PRS because it locks down and I think is more stable. Don't miss the panning at all.

Good info! I been using Harris's and don't mind them. But am looking for something that comes on and off easier. A buddy just bought a Javelin and after messing with it a bit I don't think those are for me. So I'm down to an Atlas psr or cal in a tall. Not sure what I'm going to like better, appreciate your comment! BTW if anyone has a tall with a quick detach of either one of these you want to unload let me know.

Whatever ATLAS you get I would suggest replacing the feet with some kind of spiked foot if you will be shooting off of dirt or rocks often. I like the Hawk Talons. Really let you dig in and load the bipod consistantly with out the legs spinning and the rifle moving forward.

Go with the PSR or CAL. The non-rotating legs are much preferable. Not sure the panning feature is of much practical use in hunting scenarios and has more moving parts. To each his own. I don't believe you will be disappointed either way. Replacement feet are also a big plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.