Atlas Bipod Review

Harris or Atlas?

After all this information I am still stuck between buying Harris or Atlas? I need help!

They are both good. It all boils down to which one fits your needs best. After trying both for me it is the Harris, but there are guys that prefer an Atlas. I suggest you get on the ground with both and see which one you prefer. Look at the difference in height, also fore and aft slack at the same height. Pre-load both in the kind of terrain you will hunt most. Deploy the legs and extend them see what you prefer there. Also plan to add a pod lock to the Harris swivel for another $30 or so. Then look at the differences to lock both and see which you prefer. They will both do the job, personal preference will be the deciding factor.

Jeff

Not a big deal for LR hunting but the Atlas does rattle. Spooked a whitetail at around 30 yards last year. After hunting a few seasons with both it a coin toss for me between the two. I think the true test is my accuracy at 1000 yards which is the same with both. I agree with Broz that Harris needs some understanding and practice for loading the legs. I find that the legs have to be well extended, at least 7" to load and flex the legs, and it difficult to do on a hard smooth surface thst doesn't grab the legs but with practice loading the Harris becomes second nature, and is not an issue in field conditions. I actually like/prefer the speed of the spring loaded legs, and tilting design using the pod on the Harris. I have also developed the technique to attach and remove the Harris from the swivel stud almost as fast as the Atlas pic mount.

I agree with all that. A lot of what we like is what we are used to and comfortable with . One thing I don't like about Harris is the way it attaches to a sling stud it is fraught with flexing and loosening problems with heavy guns and big recoil . However I conveted one to a American Defence QD adapter and locked it in place on the bipod with epoxy and extra screw pressure and then lock wired the tightening wheel so it never moves and it's much better now. I do like aspects of the Harris as far as ease of use goes but I also like the Atlas . Most of my issue is learning to use the Atlas properly as it new to me .

I love my Atlas Bipod and it's versatility. However, the 3" leg extension is a liability. The extension collapsed at recoil during my elk hunt and again at the shooting range. It appears the connecting buttons are too shallow to withstand the recoil if my 7mm.

Interesting. I have shot my .300 win mag 20-25 times with the extensions installed and never had a problem. Perhaps you should contact the manufacturer. Has anyone else experienced this malfunction?
Good Luck and please keep us posted.

I love my Atlas Bipod and it's versatility. However, the 3" leg extension is a liability. The extension collapsed at recoil during my elk hunt and again at the shooting range. It appears the connecting buttons are too shallow to withstand the recoil if my 7mm.

I have experienced the same thing with the extensions. If I shoot off a rest with the legsin the up position, the recoil pops the extensions off. Not only are the bottoms shallow, the spring tension on them is weak as well. I haven't had any issues when the legs are down.

I have also developed the technique to attach and remove the Harris from the swivel stud almost as fast as the Atlas pic mount.

If you'd share this technique I'd be forever beholding to you. The attaching and taking off the Harris is one big PIA - especially when you do it a dozen times a day while horseback.

If you'd share this technique I'd be forever beholding to you. The attaching and taking off the Harris is one big PIA - especially when you do it a dozen times a day while horseback.

I slide a 3" length of 11/32" cedar arrow between the swivel clamp ears when it's not on the rifle. When I want to mount it I grab the bipod so that I can place my index fingertip between the clamp ears as I loosen the tension wheel about a turn or two to sled the dowel out. With a little practice you can place the clamp on the rifles swivel stud in a few seconds with a little practice, tighten it down and your ready to go. The clamp has some spring action so it will so the bipod will stay in place when you go ti tighten it with the thumb wheel. Not as fast the the Atlas pic mount but not by much maybe n extra 10-15 seconds or so.

I've never had a problem with the leg extensions coming loose from my Atlas.

I don't use it much now though, having bought a Blaser R8 for which I can use a Versapod style easily.

I have one on my AICS and I like it but I think that the legs, when extended have too much play in them. My Harris is more ridged when extended.
I saw BT at Shot and asked them about it and I was told that they were aware of it and in the process of fixing it. Not sure if they ever did or not.... I love all the features of the Atlas other than that. JMO

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.