Atlas Bipod Review

I wonder who that may be :rolleyes: I would have a BIG problem with 'smiths making their customers decisions for them. I truly hope that is not the case here. From what I understand the OP hasn't been behind an Atlas, maybe he would prefer it over the Harris?

Thats the reason I asked, I guess we'll never know.:cool:

t

Thanks for putting what I was thinking into better words. I was told if you can't say anything nice...

For those that mite be interested in an alternative sling/bipod mounting solution I found this. Yes I see it's currently bo;

Picatinny Rail with Stud Attachment

I have some of them on order.

I was told if you can't say anything nice...

Guys, I was not trying to say anything against the Atlas. Just that some prefer the Harris even after trying both. Like bullets or many other things, personal preference comes into play here. Also that I doubted a smith that does complete builds would give much thought to the extra stud hole in his decision to use something else. It is certainly in the realm of thinking, and possible, he prefers the Harris.

So if my comments came across as negative, I apologize. I did my best to explain to RH300UM proper mounting procedure and that his sling could be used with the Atlas. But when his smith suggested he go with something different I say ok, I am not going against his smith here. We contract the smiths to build us as good of a rifle as he can. I for one, would listen to him until I get the rifle. Then if I am not happy, or want to try something else, by all means do it. If your confidence in your smith is not there you should not be using him.

Just my way of thinking. Not intending to be negative.

Jeff

Guys, I was not trying to say anything against the Atlas. Just that some prefer the Harris even after trying both. Like bullets or many other things, personal preference comes into play here. Also that I doubted a smith that does complete builds would give much thought to the extra stud hole in his decision to use something else. It is certainly in the realm of thinking, and possible, he prefers the Harris.

So if my comments came across as negative, I apologize. I did my best to explain to RH300UM proper mounting procedure and that his sling could be used with the Atlas. But when his smith suggested he go with something different I say ok, I am not going against his smith here. We contract the smiths to build us as good of a rifle as he can. I for one, would listen to him until I get the rifle. Then if I am not happy, or want to try something else, by all means do it. If your confidence in your smith is not there you should not be using him.

Just my way of thinking. Not intending to be negative.

Jeff

Jeff, hopefully my post didn't come off as a snide reubuttal, that wasn't my intention. Your remarks were not negative in any form. There is a difference in opinion for sure, that what drives our industry/sport forward.

I have a rather large pet peeve about being told what I do or do not need, I was voicing my opinion in that context to/for the OP. I personally think it is unfair that the OP's 'smith did what he did, maybe I am being the devil's advocate here.

It's my belief that a 'smith is hired to build the rifle I ask him to build, he's more that welcome to offer advice & more often than not, solicited to do so. However, the end decision is the customers to make, not his.

Again, I don't know why the gent did/said what he did & I should go a little easier on him, that's on me.

Is it going to affect the shooter any? No, it won't. Ultimately, my comments are based on the fact that the OP should have had the chance to make the decision he is paying for. In this case it doesn't look like that is true & it irks me something fierce.

In the end, the shooter will be just fine with a Harris. How much extra is it going to cost him to upgrade to an Atlas rail (if he chooses) that could have been installed correctly to begin with?

I meant no ill will towards you Jeff or the OP or his 'smith, t'wasn't my intent at all. I was voicing frustration at a situation from the context in which it was delivered.

t

I wonder who that may be :rolleyes: lol I have no problem with those who don't dig the Atlas, that's groovy with me. On the other hand, I would have a BIG problem with 'smiths making their customers decisions for them. I truly hope that is not the case here. From what I understand the OP hasn't been behind an Atlas, maybe he would prefer it over the Harris?

Thats the reason I asked, I guess we'll never know.:cool:

t
I am tired and cranky from pulling 12-14 hours at work and trying to get hay put up as well, so I am sure this will **** some of you off.
I make up my own mind!!
I am VERY, VERY lucky to have a friend who is one of the best gunsmiths around.
I value and trust his opinion greatly. It saves me a lot of B.S. in the long run.
He knows how I hunt and shoot and what I need and demand from my gear.
He is highly thought of and is reputable in the industry.
I leave his name out of this for now out of respect.
Anyone can research my posts to see who I trust and believe in.
Look at my signature and you can get a clue!!

If by chance there is anyone that has one of these Atlas bipods that lives anywhere close to Billings, Mt. and would be willing to let me buy them a beer or cup of coffee I would like to see one up close and personal mounted on a rifle.

I am rather reluctant to order one to see if it fits my needs at that price. I having been looking at these for quite some time now and have a lot of faith in some of the positive reviews but quite frankly - what works for some may not work for others.

If anyone has one you could send me a PM and I'll meet you at your place or any other that is mutally agreeable. I'm not asking to borrow it I just want to actually see it and play with it for 5 minutes.

Here is my video review of the Atlas/Harris. May be educational:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any rail out there that can be mounted to the existing sling stud?

I just got the BT1517 and BT15. I didn't realize I had to drill another hole in my stock and I definitely do not want to do that.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.