Athlon Optic opinions

i wanted an affordable, high magnification scope with short range parallax adjustment for my CZ 455. I bought an Argos BTR 6-24 on close out for $250. Scope wouldn't track or return to zero or even hold zero. Impact was about 4" left so I dialed and dialed and dialed but no movement. I had waited past the 30 days to return to Eurooptic so I was stuck having to send it in to Athlon. It was a blessing in disguise because Athlon replaced the scope with a current Argos BTR Gen 2 with a better xmas tree reticle. The Gen 2 has solid zero stop, more tactile turret clicks and decent glass for around $400. I haven't had a chance to shoot with the new scope to check tracking yet but at least I can trust Athlon to stand behind their products.

Meopta manufacturers their own glass in the Czech Republic.
Not for their scopes. They use glass purchased from Schott which is where most high end European companies get their glass. Schott is a European company but they have moved there glass manufacturing to the pacific rim (Asia). 90% of optical glass is now coming from Asia (Japan, China, and the pacific rim.) The confusion with Meopta is that they produce high end camera lenses and the assumption is that they are using the same in there sub $1000 scopes. That is not the case, hence the price. They maybe finishing the glass (polishing and coating it in house) but as far as I know and from what I have read their scope glass is coming from Schott, out of Asia. They are great scopes for the price but the glass they use is the same as other comparable companies in that price point.

Let me preface this by saying I have owned a couple of Meopta scopes thru the years and they are good scopes. I presently run Leupolds on all my hunting rifles and Athlon on my long range and tactical guns. I have one S&B PM II 3-12 on a 22LR that I used to run on a 308.

That said, to my knowledge the only European company manning there on glass is S&B. The only American company doing it is US optics and only for there premium scopes, hence the price. There are no sub $1000 scopes with euro glass in them to my knowledge. Everything else including Meopta is coming out of Asia, either China or Japan. The Japanese glass is the best but China is not far behind. If you want a clear picture of the difference look at the Ares ETR and the Cronus BTR Gen 2. The Ares ETR comes out of China, the Cronus is manufacturer is it a at the Low Factory in Japan, the same factory that makes the Atacr for NF. Even Leupold is getting their glass out of Asia. The scopes are manufactured in country hence the made in the USA or German or wherever, but with the exception of the two above mentioned companies everyone else is getting their glass from Asia.

Once you understand that simple fact. You can really evaluate scopes on there features. To me the Athlon scopes in their premium lines (Midas, Ares, and Cronus) are really hard to beat. The turrets are tactile and repeatable. The reticles are really clean and easy to use. The warranty and customer service are superb. All of these features are better than those offered on the Meopta in the same price range. Last I knew Meopta only offered one true long range option and it was in the sub $1000 market. IMO either the Ares ETR or Cronus would be a better answer to the OPs question.

While Meopta builds a great scope for hunting specifically there are a lot better options for true long range shooting, ELR and long range hunting, Athlon being one.
Not for their scopes. They use glass purchased from Schott which is where most high end European companies get their glass. Schott is a European company but they have moved there glass manufacturing to the pacific rim (Asia). 90% of optical glass is now coming from Asia (Japan, China, and the pacific rim.) The confusion with Meopta is that they produce high end camera lenses and the assumption is that they are using the same in there sub $1000 scopes. That is not the case, hence the price. They maybe finishing the glass (polishing and coating it in house) but as far as I know and from what I have read their scope glass is coming from Schott, out of Asia. They are great scopes for the price but the glass they use is the same as other comparable companies in that price point.
Meopta is not using Chinese glass in there scopes as far as I know and that's pretty far

This is from a contact I've had at Meopta for some time--

We source raw glass from various suppliers throughput Europe, including Schott, and cut, grind, polish and coat our lenses n Czech Republic using our own proprietary coatings (MeoBright and MeoLux to name a couple).

End Quote.

No Chinese. No Philippine.

This is from a contact I've had at Meopta for some time--

We source raw glass from various suppliers throughput Europe, including Schott, and cut, grind, polish and coat our lenses n Czech Republic using our own proprietary coatings (MeoBright and MeoLux to name a couple).

End Quote.

No Chinese. No Philippine
Schott manufacturers it's raw glass in Asia but it is a European company who sells glass to all the European scope manufacturers including Meopta. That is all I know. How Meopta chooses to market it is up to them.

Got to be careful on what constitutes made in anywhere. We are such a globalized economy now that some portion of whatever is made comes from somewhere other than the country of origin. The glass example, the raw material is sourced from an Asian country but is built, coated, and installed to spec at meopta. Does that make it Asian glass? What about a 100% made in America scope but the paint comes from China? Is that a Chinese scope? We are too interconnected now a day's to have something 100% built from the ground up in any one specific place.

Got to be careful on what constitutes made in anywhere. We are such a globalized economy now that some portion of whatever is made comes from somewhere other than the country of origin. The glass example, the raw material is sourced from an Asian country but is built, coated, and installed to spec at meopta. Does that make it Asian glass? What about a 100% made in America scope but the paint comes from China? Is that a Chinese scope? We are too interconnected now a day's to have something 100% built from the ground up in any one specific place.
My point exactly. If you are evaluating a product solely on the perception that it has no connection to country x or that it came from country A you are really doing yourself and the product a disservice. The product should be evaluated on its merits in comparison to other products of similar purpose.

Athlon is an American company who designs their scopes here in America but manufacturers them in various plants throughout Asia, as do Vortex, Bushnell, NF, Leupold and numerous other American companies.

Schott glass is some of the best in the business. They have taken their process and built plants in Japan , China, and Eastern Europe (Turkey or the former Soviet Union, I suspect). If you don't know who Schott is maybe you'll recognize them by there given name, Zeiss. Zeiss is a name everyone knows and trust when it comes to glass. Tangent Theta uses their glass. To think that you are getting the same glass in a $1000 scope that is in a $4500 scope is a bit naive. Although, the gap between the two is closing, primarily because the raw glass is coming from a singular source and the methods of polishing and coating are becoming more standardized across the industry.

Athlon scopes really are a great value. I think they nailed it with the Ares and Cronus lines. As many reviews have stated there really is nothing else in their price point. You get a lot of scope for the money.

I have had an Ares BTR 4.5-27 for 3 years now. It has been very rugged and the turrets have been reliable and repeatable. The glass is good, but the eye box tends to shrink and I sometimes have to hunt for it on max power, so I really only go to about 20 power with it. If I had to do it again, I would buy the 3-15 version.

Schott manufacturers it's raw glass in Asia but it is a European company who sells glass to all the European scope manufacturers including Meopta. That is all I know. How Meopta chooses to market it is up to them.
[/QUOTES
My point exactly. If you are evaluating a product solely on the perception that it has no connection to country x or that it came from country A you are really doing yourself and the product a disservice. The product should be evaluated on its merits in comparison to other products of similar purpose.

Athlon is an American company who designs their scopes here in America but manufacturers them in various plants throughout Asia, as do Vortex, Bushnell, NF, Leupold and numerous other American companies.

Schott glass is some of the best in the business. They have taken their process and built plants in Japan , China, and Eastern Europe (Turkey or the former Soviet Union, I suspect). If you don't know who Schott is maybe you'll recognize them by there given name, Zeiss. Zeiss is a name everyone knows and trust when it comes to glass. Tangent Theta uses their glass. To think that you are getting the same glass in a $1000 scope that is in a $4500 scope is a bit naive. Although, the gap between the two is closing, primarily because the raw glass is coming from a singular source and the methods of polishing and coating are becoming more standardized across the industry.

Athlon scopes really are a great value. I think they nailed it with the Ares and Cronus lines. As many reviews have stated there really is nothing else in their price point. You get a lot of scope for the money.

I have had an Ares BTR 4.5-27 for 3 years now. It has been very rugged and the turrets have been reliable and repeatable. The glass is good, but the eye box tends to shrink and I sometimes have to hunt for it on max power, so I really only go to about 20 power with it. If I had to do it again, I would buy the 3-15 version.
That's where I keep mine on 15 power good scope if I had it too do over it would be a Meopta cant stand that Chinese name under the turret housing

Have a Midas Tac on my 300 mag
I really like it. Tracks right on and the reticle is great for long shots
Dead on out to 1169 yards so far

I have the Ares (gen 1), not a good scope after 15 as the box gets really tight and I have not used it since I shot 9 rds. and removed it from my 300WM.
collecting dust in the safe so to speak.
Hhardrock