Athlon Optic opinions

I have owned a lot of Scopes and still run a bunch of them anywhere from Swarovski X5 , Huskemaw , and several different Athlon. My favorite are the Midas Tac. I have them on a 260, 22lr, and an air rifle pcp. Focus is 10 yards to infinity. Also really like the reticle for ranging.

Thanks for all the replies! Looking at their 1x4x24 for my .444 Marlin
Talos or Helos? I think those are the only two models they make in that mag range.

I have several of the Helos BTR scopes, and for the money they're very nice. I would recommend the Helos level over the Talos, I have one of the level below the Helos (only a high mag option), and I don't like it as much as the next step up, the incremental cost isn't bad comparatively.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to stack my Athlons up against my ATACR, but I could also buy a half-dozen of the Helos scopes for the cost of one Nightforce so that's not really a fair comparison. They work great for what they are, and specifically to put on what you're using I think it would work out well for you. Maybe the top-end Cronus models do compare to the top Vortex models, but in the $500-1k price range I'd say 6-5 and pick 'em compared to other decent brands.

I am so glad I came in and read these. I was about to post for the same reason. I have a customer's Athlon Ares BTR in the shop on a M-70 in 300 W/M and it impressed me so much I was about to dump my want for a Leupold 5-25X56MM VX-5 HD with the H-58 Reticle. I still may get the Leupold but I am also thinking of replacing several scopes with Athlon Ares BTR's 2.5-15X 50 and the 4.5-27X 50. but I also like the Argos BTR Gen 2's the 6-24's and 8-34's. being lit reticles really makes me smile.
I took a look at their whole line of scopes. I am impressed with their reticles and I am thinking very seriously about getting some scopes and dumping some Leupold and other manufacturer's scopes.

I am so glad I came in and read these. I was about to post for the same reason. I have a customer's Athlon Ares BTR in the shop on a M-70 in 300 W/M and it impressed me so much I was about to dump my want for a Leupold 5-25X56MM VX-5 HD with the H-58 Reticle. I still may get the Leupold but I am also thinking of replacing several scopes with Athlon Ares BTR's 2.5-15X 50 and the 4.5-27X 50. but I also like the Argos BTR Gen 2's the 6-24's and 8-34's. being lit reticles really makes me smile.
I took a look at their whole line of scopes. I am impressed with their reticles and I am thinking very seriously about getting some scopes and dumping some Leupold and other manufacturer's scopes.
I sold off all my vortex Posts gen IIs and bought several of the Helos 4-20. Almost bought an Ares or a midas, but really like the locking turrets

I sold off all my vortex Posts gen IIs and bought several of the Helos 4-20. Almost bought an Ares or a midas, but really like the locking turrets
I have a ares great scope made in China I'm not a fan of China right now from now on Meopta will be my choice European glass locking turrets zero stop etc hard too beat for the money also

I only have 1 Athlon (Argos BTR 6-24x50) but I trust it more than my Vortex PST 5-25 Gen 2 now. Vortex and Leupold is a thing of the past for me now.... They do have awesome customer service but shouldn't have to use it as much as I have the last 5 five years.

I have a ares great scope made in China I'm not a fan of China right now from now on Meopta will be my choice European glass locking turrets zero stop etc hard too beat for the money also
Let me preface this by saying I have owned a couple of Meopta scopes thru the years and they are good scopes. I presently run Leupolds on all my hunting rifles and Athlon on my long range and tactical guns. I have one S&B PM II 3-12 on a 22LR that I used to run on a 308.

That said, to my knowledge the only European company manning there on glass is S&B. The only American company doing it is US optics and only for there premium scopes, hence the price. There are no sub $1000 scopes with euro glass in them to my knowledge. Everything else including Meopta is coming out of Asia, either China or Japan. The Japanese glass is the best but China is not far behind. If you want a clear picture of the difference look at the Ares ETR and the Cronus BTR Gen 2. The Ares ETR comes out of China, the Cronus is manufactured at the Low Factory in Japan, the same factory that makes the Atacr for NF. Even Leupold is getting their glass out of Asia. The scopes are manufactured in country hence the made in the USA or German or wherever, but with the exception of the two above mentioned companies everyone else is getting their glass from Asia.

Once you understand that simple fact. You can really evaluate scopes on their features. To me the Athlon scopes in their premium lines (Midas, Ares, and Cronus) are really hard to beat. The turrets are tactile and repeatable. The reticles are really clean and easy to use. The warranty and customer service are superb. All of these features are better than those offered on the Meopta in the same price range. Last I knew Meopta only offered one true long range option and it was in the sub $1000 market. IMO either the Ares ETR or Cronus would be a better answer to the OPs question.

While Meopta builds a great scope for hunting specifically there are a lot better options for true long range shooting, ELR and long range hunting, Athlon being one.

Last edited:
I just put a 4.5x27 on a 300 RUM. I can't yet speak to reliability or tracking, but the optics and turret feel is better than its price point...

Which model is on your 50 BMG?
Thanks
Bushmaster!
PXL_20210114_163717693.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Athlon Ares btr gen2 HD APLR4 4.5-27x50. Great scope. Only problem I ran into was I ordered from Amazon and another company provided the scope. When I recieved it, I didn't notice anything. I was so pleased with it I didn't really give it a thorough look. Later I notice the screw in the magnification ring was butchered. Looking as though it had been out several times, (it had been colored black as the screw is a brass color now on all the nicked up spots on the screw. The reason I noticed it.). Contacted everyone and no one stepped up. Including Amazon. The other companies name I would have to search for. So I send it to Athlon explaining I paid 1000 dollars for a new scope and apparantly recieved refurbished one. No help. They stated it meet all their specs and sent it back. I'm using it on a 308 Winchester and so far everything is ok.
The thought of 1000 for a used scope though is hard. Just be aware of what can happen and definitely give your "new" scope a once over before using it.