Athlon Midas Tac

sean30ber

Anyone have any experience with this. My daughter asked for one to shoot her mid range 300m to 800m. All the reviews seem to come from paid people. Just like some real world thumbs up.

Last edited:
I just ordered one for a customer. I should have it this week. Looked at them while at SHOT, but it's too tough for me to tell indoors. I can send pics and let you know what I think.

Thx, I didn't hear anything back so I just bit the bullet and ordered her one. I'll put my thoughts on here when I get it and can take out to distance.

Thx, I didn't hear anything back so I just bit the bullet and ordered her one. I'll put my thoughts on here when I get it and can take out to distance.
Have you received it yet? If so, what do you think? The one I've played with had great clicks and tracked true. Glass seems to be on par with the Midas BTR. Athlon just put a video up on their facebook page running that scope to 1,000 yards and back.

Yes, It came in. Although she hasn't shot it yet, We are very pleased with the scope. The glass is "excellent" for the price of the scope. Functional, Tactile, audible and user friendly. Well built!!!. I cannot attest to tracking yet, but if the reputation precedes, its going to be excellent. Ill post more when we box test it and put some rounds down range.

I bought a Midas BTR ( I know not identical) and I thought it was not worth the $400 I paid for it. It just "feels" cheap, and the glass was terrible past 800 yards. I returned it and got a SHV 5-20. Side by side, both on 20x, the NF was much better to my eye. Was it over 2x the cost of Athlon? Yes, but confidence is a huge part of shooting and NF builds nothing but confidence.

Reload 10, thats a bummer. This one actually feels well built. Of course not like my Razor HD or Cronus BTR, but on par with SWFA as far as feel. Ive focused out to 800 with it, (max range at my house) and was surprised at the clarity. It certainly shadows the more you zoom and you have to hold a steadier eye center at full zoom but she shoots longer range on 15 and only goes higher off the bench or to see her target impacts at the short range. Glad you like your NF, They are awesome scopes. Im sure my daughter will have outgrown this in a years time. She is asking me to build her a 6.5 Creed.;)

I bought a Midas BTR ( I know not identical) and I thought it was not worth the $400 I paid for it. It just "feels" cheap, and the glass was terrible past 800 yards. I returned it and got a SHV 5-20. Side by side, both on 20x, the NF was much better to my eye. Was it over 2x the cost of Athlon? Yes, but confidence is a huge part of shooting and NF builds nothing but confidence.

Agreed you need confidence. The Ares would have been a much better comparison to the SHV. There's a big jump from the Midas to the Ares to my eyes.

The Ares and Midas btr have the same glass. I have the Ares as well and kept that

I realize they have the same glass, I cant tell you why the Ares is better to my eyes. I have both and have compared them countless times, every time the Ares wins. Only gripe about the Ares BTR is the reticle is thick for my liking. Looking forward to the ETR'S being in stock, much better reticle.

I'd say you must've gotten a bad one! I'll agree the turrets could have been better, but the glass is great. There must've been an issue with the glass on the one you got.

Yes, It came in. Although she hasn't shot it yet, We are very pleased with the scope. The glass is "excellent" for the price of the scope. Functional, Tactile, audible and user friendly. Well built!!!. I cannot attest to tracking yet, but if the reputation precedes, its going to be excellent. Ill post more when we box test it and put some rounds down range.
I look forward to seeing how it does in the box test!

So far the Midas has performed flawless. Ive run the turrets all over and the box test was perfect. I also did a tall target on it and it was very good. Shot this out to 800m so far, dialing with my Kestrel, and its right on. The turret clicks are solid and positive. Am I going to beat the hell out of this scope, certainly not. Its not built like a USO or Razor or my Cronus, but it is functioning flawless and my daughter is shooting outstanding with it. She will use it for her first Muley hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.