Athlon Midas HMR review

pawhitetail

Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 IR BDC600A
Ok so about a month and a half or so ago I posted a question on here in search of a low budget scope. Biggest thing for me is tracking and clarity in a low dollar scope. I haven't been real sure of exactly what I wanted and have been talking to my friend about it and he actually offered to lend me this scope to use for this hunting season to get me started and see what I thought of it. Being I'm married with 2 kids and work shift work, having the chance to play with someone's elses money and a chance to get some real life experience I happily accepted the offer and figured since there doesn't seem to be much info out there on this scope, I'd post a review here for others to read and get some food for thought because it does seem like a pretty competitive option in this price range.

First it comes in a pretty heavy duty box and is packed well. It's pretty heavy and seems well built. It is made in China but doesn't have the China feel at all. The turrets are capped but are larger in diameter then regular turrets and gives you 15 MOA of adjustment per revolution. The turrets have a nice stiff, tactile feel with a very audible click and are nice to use. This particular scope has 92.5 MOA of adjustment in windage and elevation. The parallax and focus adjustments are smooth and not overly tight. The illumination switch is positive and has an off position between each level of brightness which is a real nice feature as well.

Now the reticle is pretty standard in the BDC lineups. The illumination low is really low which is real nice in low light and the highest setting is definitely daylight bright.

Glass clarity is pretty impressive for a sub $500 scope. I couldn't tell any difference between this and my neighbors Viper PST and to my eyes its pretty close to the PST Gen 2. The Gen 2 may have pulled ahead slightly in low light but there was 2 of us comparing and neither one of us could really complain of the difference so I would say it was negligible at best.

The only complaints I have is that there are no type of scope caps included and I couldn't find anywhere in the paperwork nor is the scope marked as to what magnification the reticle hashes for the BDC are correct. I'm assuming 15x but will confirm once I get shooting.

Overall initially I'm impressed with this scope, especially considering its a sub $500 scope. I'm looking forward to getting this thing mounted to my 300 RUM and getting it sighted in and performing a box test and see how it fairs.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer the best I can.

I have one Athlon scope and just bought the same scope you've got for my SIL. I have not finished his rifle yet so I have not mounted it yet. But it appears to be a very solid scope for the price point.

Please keep this thread updated as you shoot it. Not sure this thread will get a lot of action because the fan base here pretty much skips over this cost level of scope.

Thanks!

I just picked up a cronus btr to put on my 30 nosler. Supposedly the cronus line is getting an etr update like the midas line did recerecen around new year. I'll have my dirty paws on it in a few days. I'm excited!

ive had the argos btr for a couple of year s with no issues with tracking and have the ares no issues both scopes from 100 to 1340 yards good scopes for the money

ive had the argos btr for a couple of year s with no issues with tracking and have the ares no issues both scopes from 100 to 1340 yards good scopes for the money
Hey Len, I have the Ares BTR 4.5-27x 50 and I'm not sure about your 1340 yds. as once mine is over 14-15 the view gets really darka and not a fun scope to use.
It's currently on a shelf waiting for a new home or a cheap .22 to be used. NEVER would I have bought this if I'd been able to touch, see and check it out before hand. MY bad

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.