Athlon Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 for big game hunting

DartonJager

Needed to add a updated question.
I am finding information stating the Midas line of Athlon scopes are made in China. If this is indeed true save your time and effort answering my questions as I will not buy a rifle scope made in China. And are doing my level best to buy as little from China as I can. Just replaced all my cooking pots and pans with 100% made in the USA ones and yes it was closer to $500 then $400 but I always felt China was our biggest threat and now with them attacking us with a biological agent and creating this PLANdemic, I'm doing all I can to buy from Chine only if I have zero other choices. I originally considered Athlon as they have "Made IN USA" all over the place, but evidently that applies only to their top tier scopes.

Am interested in this scope for hunting and it comes closest to meeting my requirements of any scope in my price range.
I am looking for a scope that has locking exposed adjustable elevation and wind adjustments, zero stop elevation, a reticle with the type of sub tensions it has. In short except for the 27x it is about perfect.
It will sit atop my Tikka T3 in 300wsm.
If you own one and have used it for hunting what can you tell me about it good or bad.
Although it is not perfect for me as I wasn't looking for magnification above 15x and per Athlons info the scopes SFP reticle sub tensions are calibrated for 15x which is completely acceptable to me as I will never use it while hunting at a magnification above 15x anyhow.

My questions for owners of this scope beyond likes and dislikes are about the exposed elevation and wind adjustments. In your experiences how easily can they be accidentally bumped off while being carried or used in the field while hunting.

If it is helpful here is a link to the exact scope at Athlon Optics:https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-btr-gen2-4-5-27x50-ahmr-sfp-ir-moa/

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The only Athlon scopes that are not made in China is the Cronus BTR which is made in Japan.

There are hardly any riflescopes made in the USA. Some are assembled in the USA from a few mfg's but for the most part not made in the USA. The optic (glass) itself is usually sourced from outside the USA.

Most Sport Optics are products of:
Austria
Germany
China
Korea
Japan
Philippines
Portugal
Czech Republic
Canada

I just ordered a Meopta Optica6 4.5-27x50. From what I found they're made in the Czech Republic. Went with the ZPlus reticle. Only concern with it is the Center dot may be a bit big and the windage turret doesn't lock. Should get it in about three weeks. Lots of scope for the money with good reviews. Sure hope the reviews are right. Look into them as it might work for you.

Gr8fuldoug.
You sir are absolutely correct.
I have been aware of the fact most if not all American based Optics manufacturers and most European ones as well utilize varying percentages of foreign made parts and even entirely foreign made optics they sell under their name for at least the last 28 years back when I bought a pair of 100% Japanese made Leupold Wind River 10x42 Binoculars. I am not happy about this fact but it is the new reality of the world of optics and especially hunting specific optics and it's likely never to change.

I know for a fact even the five Leupold VariX-II's I own that all were bought 15-28 years ago used at the vary least lenses sourced from Japan. I also know of the 10 rifle scopes, 4 pairs of Binoculars and two spotting scopes none were 100% made in America and in the case of my binos and spotters they were all 100% made in Japan.
Of my 12 rifle scopes my five Bushnells and two Weaver GS's also were all 100% made in Japan.

I have no issues with optics that incorporate some, most or all components from foreign suppliers like Japan, the PI or Europe. As none of those countries are actively attempting to do our country serious harm as China has been since post WWII. I knew before I bought them that my Weaver GS's, Bushnell 4200's, and Leupold and Pentax Binoculars were 100% made in Japan, I fervently wish they were 100% made in the USA, but that is simply no longer possible and has not for decades.

I could be wrong but I believe today few if any products actually made in America that are complex and consist of dozens if not hundreds of parts are 100% made in America as the financial reality of the global market world and grossly unfavorable trade deals America had entered into in years past has made that financially impossible.

For my own personal reasons I am trying to buy from China only when I have absolutely no other choice. I don't know how much but I strongly suspect at least some of the lead used to make the bullets I reload came from China as China has no weaponized gun hating, lead hating EPA . Lucky Chicom Bast@#*!ds
I am a HUGE believer in boycotting companies and products that run counter to my personal ethical and moral standards. It is often very difficult and almost always more costly to do so, and I know I am making no measurable impact but a man has to have a code based on honor, ethics and morals. At least that is they way I was raised and the way I am raising my sons.
I am boycotting a large number of companies as well as nearly all entertainment entities and pro sports for grossly with extreme malice of forethought and political motivation, violating my core beliefs and values.

I'm done ranting now.

Thanks for the suggestion BEEMAN, funny you should suggest the Optika6 line as I have looking at them as well.

My issue with dot type aiming points is I have only reticles with traditional intersecting cross hairs as their aiming point and are quite hesitant to spend over $500 to try out and see if I'll like them or not.

You are correct the reviews of the Meopta Optika6 line of scopes have been overwhelmingly positive.

I got caught in the Athlon "value" hype. My regret was almost immediate. I had a Midas Tac. The scope was a bit heavy, but absolutely beautiful to look through. That said, the scope simply would not hold zero. The Tikka that it lived on was sub MOA laser with my cheap Leupold 3-9 freedom. With the Midas Tac though... Sometimes the gun shot well and sometimes I had to actually search my target for impacts. Once, for no good reason whatsoever, the gun decided to shoot 10 inches high at 100 yards. I moved the turret down 10 MOA (40 clicks) and the next group of rounds moved down about 1.5 inches. I sent the scope back to Athlon. They tested it and sent it back un-repaired. Athlon claimed the scope passed all tests. The scope was replaced with a Accupoint in the same price range. The Tikka is a laser again.

Gr8fuldoug.
You sir are absolutely correct.
I have been aware of the fact most if not all American based Optics manufacturers and most European ones as well utilize varying percentages of foreign made parts and even entirely foreign made optics they sell under their name for at least the last 28 years back when I bought a pair of 100% Japanese made Leupold Wind River 10x42 Binoculars. I am not happy about this fact but it is the new reality of the world of optics and especially hunting specific optics and it's likely never to change.

I know for a fact even the five Leupold VariX-II's I own that all were bought 15-28 years ago used at the vary least lenses sourced from Japan. I also know of the 10 rifle scopes, 4 pairs of Binoculars and two spotting scopes none were 100% made in America and in the case of my binos and spotters they were all 100% made in Japan.
Of my 12 rifle scopes my five Bushnells and two Weaver GS's also were all 100% made in Japan.

I have no issues with optics that incorporate some, most or all components from foreign suppliers like Japan, the PI or Europe. As none of those countries are actively attempting to do our country serious harm as China has been since post WWII. I knew before I bought them that my Weaver GS's, Bushnell 4200's, and Leupold and Pentax Binoculars were 100% made in Japan, I fervently wish they were 100% made in the USA, but that is simply no longer possible and has not for decades.

I could be wrong but I believe today few if any products actually made in America that are complex and consist of dozens if not hundreds of parts are 100% made in America as the financial reality of the global market world and grossly unfavorable trade deals America had entered into in years past has made that financially impossible.

For my own personal reasons I am trying to buy from China only when I have absolutely no other choice. I don't know how much but I strongly suspect at least some of the lead used to make the bullets I reload came from China as China has no weaponized gun hating, lead hating EPA . Lucky Chicom Bast@#*!ds
I am a HUGE believer in boycotting companies and products that run counter to my personal ethical and moral standards. It is often very difficult and almost always more costly to do so, and I know I am making no measurable impact but a man has to have a code based on honor, ethics and morals. At least that is they way I was raised and the way I am raising my sons.
I am boycotting a large number of companies as well as nearly all entertainment entities and pro sports for grossly with extreme malice of forethought and political motivation, violating my core beliefs and values.

I'm done ranting now.
Xlnt post. Well said and true to what I believe .

I have that same scope on a 6.5 CM. It is made in China. That being said, I'm pretty happy with it. It tracks, holds zero and has positive clicks. The glass is clear for the price point and does pretty well in lower light at least in the lower to mid magnifications. Used it to take a few deer and hogs last season.

Bought a second one of the same model from Midway and let it set for several months till I got around to mounting it. When I did, I found the cap to the battery compartment was already cross threaded. Worked with it and couldn't for the life of me get it loose. Ended up galling it up a bit. Will be sending that one back and testing the warranty shortly.

Can you provide a link to your website?
Hammerbullets.com

We don't have the optics loaded on our website. If you are after a particular item let me know and I will find out availability and get you a price. Some of the products have been slow to get since the China flue.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.