At wits end....

Boozer

I've been working on accurizing my rem 700 bdl in 30-06 for some time now, and am pretty frustrated. I would like to get to the 1 MOA threshold. I've done most of it myself, with my gunsmith checking all of it and seeing no apparent issues with my work.

Lightened and adjusted trigger to 3lbs
Bedded action (no pillars) with devcon using the "stress-free" method
Bedded bottom metal (smith did this)
Lapped the locking lugs (smith checked headspace after, no issues)
Smith checked firing pin protrusion
Free floated my barrel
Re crown barrel (smith did this)
Installed pachmyr decelerator pad
Installed new Vortex HS-T to eliminate any possible scope issues being the problem
Chamber cast revealed one of the rifling that appeared to extend back into the chamber a bit further than the rest, so the smith used a reamer by hand to ever so slightly trim it off.
Lastly, I tried the David tubbs bullets, and this seemed to help about as much as anything else.

After all this, the best group I've ever shot was 2"x2.25" 8 shot group at 100 yards with Black hills loaded with 180gr nobler accubond. (Had 10, did 2 foulers, then 8 for the group). Now that the David tubbs bullets seemed to help, I want to put a few different loads thru it to see if any do better than the BHA. It seemed to favor the 180's before.

Assuming that doesn't work, I have an little $$ saved up, and am thinking i can spend it one of 2 ways:

Part of me is wondering if it just has a long throat due to the rifling issue, I can have someone load some rounds seated out close to the rifling, and if it responds well, I invest in a hand load set-up. $$

I send this thing off to have the action blueprinted install new barrel. $$$$$$! If I go this route, I would love to get everyone's recommendations for who to use. I've seen hill country rifles mentioned here before, and it seems that they specialize in accurizing factory rifles. I'm in Kansas City, FYI.

Please help, if the gun didn't have sentimental value I probably would have sold it already. And before anyone asks, I've shot sub-MOA groups on other rifles, so for sake of argument, let's remove me from the equation.

Bedded action (no pillars) with devcon using the "stress-free" method
The first thing I'd do is install pillars. It's inexpensive, certainly wouldn't hurt anything and just might pull things into proper tension. I'd also check that the recoil lug is bedded tight enough so that you can't remove the barrelled action except by pulling it straight up with even lifting pressure on both the tang and the barrel.
When you say you've free floated the barrel, how much clearance is between the barrel channel and the barrel when it's cold?
If you'd like to try another barrel send me a PM. I have one I don't need and I can let it go pretty cheap.

Sounds like the rifle is as ready as possible. You never mentioned the torque used on the action screws. I prefer an inch pound torque wrench for consistency. Sometimes you have to retighten the action screws after shooting.

How many rounds have you fired through the rifle?

You mentioned Black hills ammo. Have you tried any other brands? You may have to try a variety of ammo to see what your rifle likes.

Handloading would allow you to control a wider range of variables when compared to store bought ammo.

There is a pretty darn good load that works in most 30-06s I have encountered. I got this from a friend that has loaded for dozens of 30-06s. 165 gr Sierra bullet (please work up to) with 57 or 58 gr of IMR 4350. Seat bullet to fit and feed from magazine. See if you can get a handloader to help you. Or maybe it is time to start doing this yourself!

Hate to say it but First thing I would do is have another good shooter shoot it to confirm what the rifle is doing. I would have them watch you first to see if they see any flaws in your bench shooting.

I know if I have run into problems similar to that, I get another good shooter to confirm what I am seeing. You know then you are dealing with a rifle issue and not a shooter technique issue. Sometimes we let our bench techniques slip and we do some little thing that causes groups to open up.

Try shooting some longer range and see how it does. I swear I can shoot better at longer range. I feel more steady. Not trying to hold on the tiny target I guess.

Steve

I've had all that done plus a new barrel and the rifle still shoots factory ammo poorly. If you have a friend that reloads, give him the rifle, some brass and some money for components to test and let him go to town. Developing a custom load can really make a big difference and IMO, is more or less, the best place to start when you want to make a rifle accurate. After that, if things don't come together, I look for mechanical issues. Although I've seen some impressive pictures, I've personally never had a rifle that shot to it's potential with factory ammo. That said, I often buy some match ammo just to see how it does.

I'll try to address everyone's points here... Lots of good info thus far!

Fearnowind: recoil lug was bedded with 1layer of painters tape on the front, sides, and bottom, none on the back. Pillar bedding may help, this battle may be won 1/4" at a time... I'll PM you about the barrel.

AZShooter: everything was torqued with a wheeler engineering torque wrench, though I forget exactly how much, and I will go through again to make sure everything is still tight. I believe it has 200-300 rounds through it, but only 10 since I've done the tubbs bullets. I do want to put a few more factory match loads through it before I make any rash decisions. It might like a completely different ammo now that I've done the firelapping, hard to tell until I try.

Bounty hunter: About 2 weeks ago I shot a 5/8"X1/2" group out of my brothers brand new CZ 527 in .204. I'll never rule myself out, but I'm trying to operate with blinders on for the purposes of our conversation here.

Mike 338: I think you are echoing what others are saying as well. Try to see if I can get someone to hand load a few rounds seated to tighter to the rifling and see how she does.

Thanks all!

Been there done that.
I had the same issue with the long ...long chamber throat and the messed up land pattern.
If you can... pillars need to be installed !and if that doesn't do it, re-barrrel, I am pretty sure you wont regret it.

I've had rifles where I have to try 6-8 different factory loads to find what they like. I then try and match those with my own loads, or for some rifles give up and shoot factory fodder. Some rifles shoot factory ammo much better than I can figure out handloads, and some shoot handloads much better than factory loads.

If you have only tried the Accubond I'd see what else you can find to try. For example I've shot 4 different Wby Vanguards in 270 Win, and only 2 of them like the same ammo. If you have tried others in your rifle let us know what they were.

Good luck!

Try some flat based bullets. I have found that some production barrels prefer them to boat tails. Worth a shot. I would try Cor-Lokt if you are going to stay with factory ammo. -------SS

I've tried 10 different types. Rem corelokt, in both 165, and 180, rem accutips, BHA in 180, fed premium, Hornady, HSM with bergers, and have a box of nosler trophy grade that I haven't tapped into yet. All were tested prior to the David tubbs bullets, so I probably need to retest to see if anything has changed. In general at 100yds, 180s outperformed 165s, and BHA has looked the best. Fed premium wasn't bad. Rem corelokts were the worst, 3-4" groups.

Primers on the BHA are FLAT, must be a pretty hot load. FYI.

It sounds like the rifle is more troublesome than one should expect, especially after the work youve put into it.

I personally dont expect much out of rifles without handloading for them. Ive just always found better accuracy after tuning a load to the rifle. Even with customs.
Also i think the biggest improvements beside handloading, is a good stock and barrel.

Really just my opinion.

I have a Thompson Center Venture 30-06, with factory ammo it would hold one to one and a half moa.
But, A 178 amax with 56.5 grns of imr 4350, it will put three almost in one hole at 250 yards. It will also do this with 200 grn SMK and RL 17 with the 208 amax.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.