At my wits end

Kentucky

Ive got a brand new Zeiss Comquest Hd5 3-14-50 on a Savage Axis .308 with new Weaver rings . The scope has a toal of 67 clicks of Windage. With a SITELITE bore type sighter system I am "aiming" 2in. left at 15 yards with ALL of the Windage adjustment gone. I am out of Windage adjustment! Aside from a bad scope has anyone ever had this problem?

You're winding the windage the right way?

Remember if you're boresighting, you need to adjust in the opposite direction than if you were making adjustments from bullet impacts.

Savage axis / model 11 model 111 there have been numerous reports of either the base holes being misaligned on the action, or the barrel threads / action face being non perpendicular to action centerline.

If you have a good quality straight edge 3 ft long or so, you might try resting it on each side of the action (left and right) and seeing how much clearance there is to the muzzle and if it is even on both sides. If the muzzle is clearly off relative to the action, take the scope off and send the rifle back to Savage to fix. They will put it in a press and bend the barrel (no joke) or they may just send you a replacement.

Pic of Savage factory barrel "straightening" press
P1020126-vi.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...traightening&p=1278121&viewfull=1#post1278121

If it looks like the barrel is on straight, then one will have to dig deeper.

WOW! Of all the answers I was expecting, that wasn't one of them. Who would have thunk it. Thanks , I will check that out tomorrow.

Yes, I am sure. I'm looking through the scope trying to pull the cross hairs to the lighted dot. You're right though about going in the wrong direction. That was another lesson learned AFTER scratching a bald spot on my head. LOL Thanks

I have seen two rem 700's in the last couple of years where the base screws were not in perfect alignment. You could put a straight edge over the holes and see that they were pointing off to the side. Was told a smith can make the hikes bigger and fix it if it's not to bad?

Thanks again to all for your help. My Buddy and I both bought the same rifles on the same day. I had nothing but trouble while his came together quick. After a Boyd's thumbhole stock, a Matrix trigger, a limb saver pad, two boxes of Nosler match grade ammo AND three different scopes I took it back to Gamder and told them to send it to Savage. Naturally they had not heard of any problems with the Savage but they would send it in for a look see. Now that I have lost all faith in this rifle I will probably sell it amd buy another. Borrowed my friends identical rifle and it shoots like a dream. Just a fluke.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.