Assistance with selecting an ML

JBDekes

I have decided it is time to pick up an ML. Most years my hunting season is spoiled by working over a Holiday week (only week WI has a gun season). So to add an opportunity I need to go with an ML.

I have the chance to purchase a few below locally, just wondering if anyone has different thoughts, or a better recommendation. I'm looking to spend up to 350ish and do not plan to scope it- need a little weight savings if possible- long walks into public lands. Longest shot possible is about 200, NOT very interested in shooting that far, unless the capabilities are just amazing (not expecting much for my price range).

One thing I am considering is going to a size other than 50 cal. Lots of places locally run out of 50 cal, but other sizes are readily available.

Local options are:
Nice used Rem 700 ML- $325
Traditions G4 lightweight - $340
Wolf (forgot the model, sorry)- $299

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

THANK YOU

knight rifles has a sale on their bighorn 52cal. 315.00 out the door

Thanks Edwells69. Thats a pretty nice price for it, shipping cost thought, OUCH...

I'm still liking that one. Have you shot a knight before? Worth it even though its not the break type which I've been told is easier cleaning?

Thanks again

I have the disc extreme.I like it better then the tc encore.A 375 grain bullet at 1900 fps has to be seen to be believed.It does kick.If you buy it,when sighting it in.Crack the breech plug after the first shot if using triple 7.And make sure you use never-seez on the plug.

I shoot a Remington 700 ultimate, and that might be a bit out of your price range, but honestly, my friend shoots a cva, and that dang thing is incredibly accurate, and very easy to clean as well. I've had several, and still have a Remington 700ML. Killed boatloads of deer with them and Barnes bullets, the farthest being with a 45 cal version @207 yards. The one I currently have started out as a youth version with a 20" barrel, but I've added a full size stock, and upgraded the ignition system to a 209 primer. For the least amount invested, I'd definitely go with a cva, and for what I believe to be the ultimate muzzleloader, other than a custom or a bad bull, is the Remington 700 ultimate. The ignition system is light years ahead of the 209 primer.

Thanks everyone.

Encore, any recommended guns?

Sorry, so new to MLs my only exposure is a few big box stores locally. Would like to know others to look at. Open to anything as itll be my first.

Thanks again

I shoot a Remington 700 ultimate, and that might be a bit out of your price range, but honestly, my friend shoots a cva, and that dang thing is incredibly accurate, and very easy to clean as well. I've had several, and still have a Remington 700ML. Killed boatloads of deer with them and Barnes bullets, the farthest being with a 45 cal version @207 yards. The one I currently have started out as a youth version with a 20" barrel, but I've added a full size stock, and upgraded the ignition system to a 209 primer. For the least amount invested, I'd definitely go with a cva, and for what I believe to be the ultimate muzzleloader, other than a custom or a bad bull, is the Remington 700 ultimate. The ignition system is light years ahead of the 209 primer.

Thanks Hadjii. Was typing at same time as you. Greatly appreciated. Unfortunately out of my price range, but, if there are better options, Ill just have to wait another year. I'm willing to wait if needed, but, if a budget CVA can handle the work, itll be one extra deer in the freezer.

I have had a few ml. The last one is cva apex. First 3 shots coverleaf 100yds with blackhorn 209. I think it's the barrels they use. This rifle sucks as a centerfire. Stretches cases bad fist shot. Now i have an expensive ml but it shots great. Would recommend cva mls as far as my experience goes.

I have two Knight disc extremes. One .45 cal & one 50 cal. Both shoot very well. Have taken a bunch of deer with both & an elk with the .50 cal. I would caution buying the .52 caliber as you will be limited on bullet selection. The .45 caliber will shoot flatter & handle any whitetail with a properly constructed bullet. I use Blackhorn 209 powder with standard 209 shotgun primers in both of my Knights. Easy clean-up, good ignition & very accurate. Good Luck !

Just picked up a CVA Accura PR. Going to shoot it today. I'll post results later. Optima is in your price range. Several friends have them and none are disappointed.

Thanks Hadjii. Was typing at same time as you. Greatly appreciated. Unfortunately out of my price range, but, if there are better options, Ill just have to wait another year. I'm willing to wait if needed, but, if a budget CVA can handle the work, itll be one extra deer in the freezer.
It definitely can. They shoot very, very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.