Asking the experts..

No! Could a guy do it once yes. I could throw dust on him I bet about every time and hit it as much as anybody, but everytime, no. A whitetail as other big game animals change speeds and direction often as a defense against predators. To many variables to factor in every shot.

I'm no expert. It's hard enough to make a one shoot kill at 6-700 yards on a still animal let alone running, bouncing, zig-zagging, wind, timing, range etc.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll break tradition here and say YES! Perfectly possible! As long as:

A) the animal is a horse.
B) he's running on a flat, level track.
C) you've clocked this particular horse and know the exact speed he's running(ahead of time, so you've got the time to do the math)
D) you've lasered the range and know your distance exactly.
E) there's no dips or bumps in the track to introduce potential vertical error.
F) the jockey is relatively expendable; they may argue this.
G) you still don't mind missing a fairly high percentage of the time, 'cause there's still going to be a huge amount of luck involved.

In the real world, on a game animal in natural terrain . . . I'm from Missouri; Show me!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Okay, I'll break tradition here and say YES! Perfectly possible! As long as:

A) the animal is a horse.
B) he's running on a flat, level track.
C) you've clocked this particular horse and know the exact speed he's running(ahead of time, so you've got the time to do the math)
D) you've lasered the range and know your distance exactly.
E) there's no dips or bumps in the track to introduce potential vertical error.
F) the jockey is relatively expendable; they may argue this.
G) you still don't mind missing a fairly high percentage of the time, 'cause there's still going to be a huge amount of luck involved.

In the real world, on a game animal in natural terrain . . . I'm from Missouri; Show me!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin--Great Response!!! The only person I know that could do it every time is Rich!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! You know who I am speaking about at your ex employer!!!!! People make all kinds of wild claims about what they can hit!!

I'm not gonna say it, I'm not gonna say it, I'm not gonna say it . . . oh the Hell with it, you KNOW him, don't you!? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Kevin--Great Response!!! The only person I know that could do it every time is Rich!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! You know who I am speaking about at your ex employer!!!!! People make all kinds of wild claims about what they can hit!!

WHOA! for a minute there I thought you meant me. Shoot; I can't even hit a north Idaho mosquito every time when he's sucking the life out of me.......RICH:D

On the military ch. a US sniper was know for shooting bad guys running across street at 500-600 yrds. He also had alot of practice, Years later they tracked sniper down and recreated the shot, it was cold winter day w/15 mph cross wind, range 600, target moving as fast as human run, both dirrections. Results shot 1, miss, shot 2 10 ring, shot 3 think was 8 ring, torso hit anyway. I COULD tell his old arm coach was impressed, sai that guy is a shooter. In the Shooters Bible, Jack O' Connor, practiced on running jack rabbits on a regular basis, and shot running deer out to 300 on a regular basis. My neighbor down the street son shot moving target pellet gun in our local club, I USED TO WATCH HIM, when I was at pistol club, he woud shot 10 rings moving, but you use a aiming point on paper for the lead, offhand, he almost made olyimpic team. Even with this said I CALL bs on the guy

I think this should be easy enough. With a minigun, at about 4000 rounds per minute, I could even call my own shots. LOL

Southpaw

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts