Asking for help with 28 Nosler load, light bullets

vpsmitty

Hi Everyone,
I am stuck in California (moving as soon as I can) but I have a 28 Nosler and I must shoot copper bullets. I am trying to get a load worked up with the 145 LRX bullets. It is hard to find data for light-for caliber loads.
My rifle has a 1:8.7 twist, and the 168 Barnes call for a 1:8, so the next size down in a bullet with a high BC is the 145. I have 2 lbs of Reloder 23, which I think should be a good choice, but there is ZERO load data out there. Does anyone have access to software that could give me a safe minimum and maximum load to start with? I don't want to just guess a starting load and cross my fingers when I pull the trigger, so I am hoping somebody can help.

Thank you for your time,
Paul

So when I try powders that don't have load data I load up ten starting with the lowest I could think of. So with a 28 nosler and rl23 I would start with 67 grains and load up 1 grain at a time for ten shots. Measuring speed and watching pressure signs. Once I get high enough to where the speed makes sense then I stop and load at .3 grain and measure group size and speed. It's a little tricky with the smaller cartridges but as long as you kinda know what the speed should be it's safe.

Not sure if its an options to try but cutting edge bullets or hammer bullets might be a good option so you don't have to go quite so light. The 169 hammer hunter might work( the 155 hammer hunter will work) and the cutting edge 155 MTH might work well also.

Quickload data attached. I assumed a 24 inch barrel. If your barrel or OAL length or H2O capacity differs, let me know and I will rerun to you specifics

Attachments

• 28 Nosler Barnes 145 LRX RL23.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 205
Quickload data attached. I assumed a 24 inch barrel. If your barrel or OAL length or H2O capacity differs, let me know and I will rerun to you specifics
Thank you so much! It's a 26 inch barrel, but I am sure the calcs are close enough I can start my load workup. I do appreciate your help. Results to follow!

Not sure if its an options to try but cutting edge bullets or hammer bullets might be a good option so you don't have to go quite so light. The 169 hammer hunter might work( the 155 hammer hunter will work) and the cutting edge 155 MTH might work well also.

Thank you Dave, I will look into them. I would like a heavier bullet, although you don't need a very big bullet for these little blacktails. I hadn't heard of hammer bullets before.

advertised recommend twist rates spot on? I live at 6500ft and hunt between 7000-10000ft so we can get away w
What part of California are you in, I would be trying h1000 or n560 with that light of a bullet. Something not temp sensitive. And I would be shooting cutting edge bullets or hammers
Sorry Dave, somehow I missed your post. I am in Northern California and hunt A and B zones. A zone can be quite hot, into the 100s, Bzone is usually in the 60-80s when I go. I have some H1000, and I will see how that works.

@ your altitude this is what I would use. THey are very easy to tune. If you want a 3400fps pill the 143's are also talked about alot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.