As green as it gets to coyote hunting

You have time before pelts are good again, so no big deal using bigger guns right now. I'd look at something more frangible than Barnes bullets though. I'd also use a 12ga with #4 and an exta full or specialized choke for close in encounters.

I use the .223 a lot when I call, but the .204 Ruger and .22-250 are great coyote calling cartridges as well. I like light fast bullets that dump energy quickly. 50 grain or lighter HP Sierra or Nosler is usually my choice, if you get a frontal shot I've never had an exit and often don't have one on a broadside beyond 100 yards with the .223. I've had no issues using fast and light to 400 yards or more.

Often times a bobcat or fox comes to the call as well. If they hangup outside if shotgun range you're going to need a .17 caliber or .22 rimfire to not have significant pelt damage IME. For those I'd be looking at .17 HMR, WSM, Hornet, Rem or .17-221 FB. The .22 WMR with 30 grain HP or V-Max works well out to 150-200 yards on cats and fox.

When are pelts worth something so I can round up stuff before then? Also, are they more likely to wind you or see you?

Pelts prime with the amount of day lite when the days get shorter it triggers a change in the animals hormones , fox normally prime up first around late October , coyote by the end of November and bobcats mid to late December . Pelts start to rub , break or singe depending a lot on the weather and amount of snow and freezing weather . With a large amount of snow and cold weather the animals will set on the snow and some of their fur on the hips freezes to the snow so as they stand up it gets pulled out on the hip area , rub or breakage . Singe is where the sun reflecting off of snow ect. curls the tips of the longer guard hairs and makes it look like when you light your gas grill and burn the hair on your arm . This starts to happen in latter December during winters with a lot of snow on fox and coyote and normally to bob cats by mid Feb .

Pelts prime with the amount of day lite when the days get shorter it triggers a change in the animals hormones , fox normally prime up first around late October , coyote by the end of November and bobcats mid to late December . Pelts start to rub , break or singe depending a lot on the weather and amount of snow and freezing weather . With a large amount of snow and cold weather the animals will set on the snow and some of their fur on the hips freezes to the snow so as they stand up it gets pulled out on the hip area , rub or breakage . Singe is where the sun reflecting off of snow ect. curls the tips of the longer guard hairs and makes it look like when you light your gas grill and burn the hair on your arm . This starts to happen in latter December during winters with a lot of snow on fox and coyote and normally to bob cats by mid Feb .
Everyone has been very helpful on this. I do a lot of hunting but it's meat hunting. Mainly elk and deer. I'm not very good at any of it but it's fun.

Hunting of all kinds applies to all other hunting they all have things in common with each other . Shot placement is crucial in all hunting the kill area is just smaller on predators like coyote and fox then elk , deer or antelope . Enjoying your self is a big part of it as is respect for lives of all types so enjoy and learn as you go .

Very interesting.

Hunting of all kinds applies to all other hunting they all have things in common with each other . Shot placement is crucial in all hunting the kill area is just smaller on predators like coyote and fox then elk , deer or antelope . Enjoying your self is a big part of it as is respect for lives of all types so enjoy and learn as you go .
Having fun is the most important part. Taking the life of an animal is something I take very seriously. In fact I feel very remorseful when I do.

If you want to reachout to 300-400 yds then it's hard to beat a 22-250 or 204. If closer to 200-250 then the 204 or the 17 hornet or even 17wsm if you find a good shooter. The 17 wsm is a rimfire and on the low end of effectiveness but no reloading. The 17 wsm rifles are a bit temperamental and not really well thought of because of ammunition inconsistancy.
also hard to beat an accurate .223 for 350 yds or so.

Last edited:

You can load most any rifle for coyote if you can find the right combination for it and these days that is the problem even if you buy a new caliber of rifle it's not easy to find ammo or components to load for it .

I prefer a fast, flat shooting round when hunting coyotes. Often times they come and go so quick and at a variety of distances. I try to limit how much I have to think and account for bullet drop.

I prefer something with a small bullet like a 17 HMR when I know they'll be in tight and quality shot placement won't be too difficult.

I use a 22 Swift at longer ranges. The bigger bullet is a little more forgiving if I'm not doing my job on my end of the gun.

As far a bullet selection, I want a bullet that has horrible weight retention and basically disintegrates on impact and does not pass all they way through. You can go the route of having a bullet that stays together and passes through but they run fast and don't stop for anything. So recovery can get difficult if they don't fall over close to there were when they are shot.

In my book, nothing beats the thrill of calling in yotes and watching them pop in and out of view while trying to get a shot off. Best of luck. Hope you find it as much fun as I do.
A 17 remington loaded with a 25 or 30 grain bullet is a death ray out to 500 yards. Pin hole going in. Doesn't come out. No pelt damage. Check out the ballistic tables, you will be surprised. Nice thing is,very low recoil. You can see your hits. Just my opinion and experience.

I've been hunting coyote for roughly 15 years and while I have not taken the numbers of coyotes that I've read from many others I wouldn't say I'm below expected either.
I've hunted coyote with 20's, 224's, 6mm's, 25's 6.5's. My all time favourite is the 20's. I've owned 3 204's and a 20 tac and have a full custom 20 tac being wrapped up currently. I've shot 32gr vmax, 40gr vmax, 45gr soft points, 39gr blitzkings and 35gr bergers. The 39gr blitzkings are the absolute best thing that's happened to the 204 minus pelt damage. It gives it the edge. High bc, blistering fast and hammers dogs but one or 2 out of every 10 do some serious damage so I dropped the bullet. I've since loaded the 35's and while I have extremely minimum reports it seems like I'll be sticking with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts