As green as it gets to coyote hunting

Jfasher

A friend of mine is a trapper. We got to talking and decided we wanted to try and shoot them. He wants to keep the pelts. I have never shot anything that small with a rifle. I have lots of different flavors when it comes to rifles. I reload my ammo but I really don't know what I should be loading for these things. Something really light for caliber that stays together like a partition or accubond? Something a little light that's more long range like the eldx or ablr? Or something standard that barely goes in before it comes apart?

The pelts aren't much to look at this time of the year . What caliber are you thinking you might want to try ?

I prefer a fast, flat shooting round when hunting coyotes. Often times they come and go so quick and at a variety of distances. I try to limit how much I have to think and account for bullet drop.

I prefer something with a small bullet like a 17 HMR when I know they'll be in tight and quality shot placement won't be too difficult.

I use a 22 Swift at longer ranges. The bigger bullet is a little more forgiving if I'm not doing my job on my end of the gun.

As far a bullet selection, I want a bullet that has horrible weight retention and basically disintegrates on impact and does not pass all they way through. You can go the route of having a bullet that stays together and passes through but they run fast and don't stop for anything. So recovery can get difficult if they don't fall over close to there were when they are shot.

In my book, nothing beats the thrill of calling in yotes and watching them pop in and out of view while trying to get a shot off. Best of luck. Hope you find it as much fun as I do.

I prefer a fast, flat shooting round when hunting coyotes. Often times they come and go so quick and at a variety of distances. I try to limit how much I have to think and account for bullet drop.

I prefer something with a small bullet like a 17 HMR when I know they'll be in tight and quality shot placement won't be too difficult.

I use a 22 Swift at longer ranges. The bigger bullet is a little more forgiving if I'm not doing my job on my end of the gun.

As far a bullet selection, since I am shooting small calibers, I want a bullet that has horrible weight retention and basically disintegrates on impact and does not pass all they way through. You can go the route of having a bullet that stays together and passes through but they run fast and don't stop for anything. So recovery can get difficult if they don't fall over close to there were when they are shot.
I will admit that I have never shot one further than 450 yds with one of these small calibers. If I were to try at greater distances, I'd try a 6.5 or 260 and go with a bullet that retains weight and doesn't leave a big exit hole.

In my book, nothing beats the thrill of calling in yotes and watching them pop in and out of view while trying to get a shot off. Best of luck. Hope you find it as much fun as I do.

So my 260 Remington with 120 grain barnes ttsx would be great for long range yotes

They might not be great on pelts. I've shot a few with 110gr ttsx from a 300blk, and they drop instantly, but it makes decent holes in them. The fur is basically useless this time of year anyways, and unless you live way up north, it's basically almost always worthless..

They might not be great on pelts. I've shot a few with 110gr ttsx from a 300blk, and they drop instantly, but it makes decent holes in them. The fur is basically useless this time of year anyways, and unless you live way up north, it's basically almost always worthless..
I personally don't care but he is wanting them. I just think it would something fun and it would help out the deer and rabbit population.

I think that the 120's in your 260 will be just fine for what you are wanting to do close and long range . Your CM also will do ok at this time it's hard to get supplies do some good shot placement on full frontal shots try to get centered in the chest on side shots try for behind the front leg and centered top to bottom so that you aren't hitting any thing bigger then rib bones . I've been known to use my 30-06 running 125 gr. and some 175 fmj's with the 125's if you hit too far back they make a mess .