Arrows Suitable for Big Game or not Good Enough?

NewbieNewbie

Hi to all the respected, experienced members.

As a total newbie I was hoping to ask for some advice. Due to covid there is a shortage of arrows that I can source.

Do the experienced members here think the Carbon Express Maxima Red 350 connected to the Magnus Stinger broadhead 150 grain are good enough for hunting big game or do you think this is out of date/not adequate for big game?

I have read conflicting opinions whereby some say the weight/kinetic energy is more important than using a light carbon fast traveling arrow. Then others showed figures that beyond a certain distance it all evens out, irrespective of whether you use a heavy slow traveling aluminum arrow or a fast light carbon arrow.

Sorry, I should also clarify that this is not the Maxima Red SD arrow. It is the Maxima red 350. Thank you.

As I mentioned I am totally new to both the conventional compound bow, as well as the crossbow (I recently bought both). Then I am also new at this site and not sure if it is against the rules to also post this same question at the forum: "Bowhunting"?. If so, then I must sincerely apologize (I was unsure whether I must post this question under "Bowhunting" OR "Hunting Big game"?

Many thanks again for your kind understanding.

Best regards

James

Last edited:
Although I have no experience with them, I would think the carbon express arrows would work. Remember you need to purchase the right spine weight for your bow. The 150 grain broadheads. I've been using broadheads closer to the 100 gr weight. I know that your arrows need to have a certain balance and while I've heard good things about the Magnus broadheads I would wonder if they might be a little heavy. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Don't know if this helps or not. Also welcome to the forum.

It'll work. There's tons of opinions on what's adequate and what's not. The most important thing to remember is hitting the animal in the vitals. There's folks like the Ranch Fairy pushing really heavy arrow/broadhead set ups and then you got the speed crowd. Bottom line is there's advantages and disadvantages to both. I personally shoot a 425 grain total arrow set up. 100 grain head.(Trocar). I have shot a 390 grain set up with swhackers for years and had no issues. I hunt southern mostly but I don't change my set up when I make my annual trip to Ohio and mid west states. I don't have a problem with pass through. Just make sure your heads are sharp and you can hit where you want to. But you should be fine.

Hi thank you to everyone.

I am still in the process of learning, big game could be a buffalo, but I think in the wild one or in a shtf situation, I would also want an arrow that can also protect against predators (lions, bears etc).

dmj it seems like one can use a lighter arrow when using a compound bow, whereas I get the impression the arrow must be much heavier when using a crossbow.

North Idaho, if I may ask, if a lion approaches you unexpectedly from the front with your arrow drawn, then I presume you would be forced to aim for the chest because you wont be able to reach behind the shoulder??? Will it be adequate?

I am still working on the range, but if I may ask all the experienced members a practical question. I just bought some new arrows. Now I tried to use them, but then noted that if I want to place the the vertical fletch upright and the other 2 fletches more horizontal so that the fletch does not hit the whisker biscuit arrow rest, then the nock is not aligned vertically to lock in place against the string.

Now I tried to google on youtube how to change the position of the nock, but not much info. I used a pliers to keep the arrow stationary and a second pliers to try to turn the knock the correct position, but this was tough and I was worried I might dammage the expensive arrows and nock. Is it correct that I should turn the nock anti clockwise if I want to align it so that the single fletch is vertical?

I just could not understand why new arrows would not have the nock correctly aligned with the fletch? Is my understanding of the concept correct?

Sorry for asking such a basic question.

Thank you again.

Best regards

James

Cheechako76
thank you for the excellent advice. As a newbie I am starting to think to myself is archery worth it when considering all the work regarding the fine details and tools and effort and expense versus the simplicity of the recurve crossbow? Thank you again.
Best regards
James

James

I haven't chased big animals with a bow as I live in Hawaii. But I will tell you if the poundage Is high enough and You hit the animal In The right place you'll have good outcomes. My opinion is 60-70 lb bow is more than adaquate to take anything in America provided you are close enough and put it in the right spot. In Hawaii the hardest thing to out down here is hogs. A 70 Lb bow at less than 50 yds is more than enough to put down a 300# hog with fixed blade 100 gr heads.

You never mentioned what draw weight or length let alone what bow it is so it's hard for us to give you advice. A 45# bow and 70# bow are two different animals. Penetration is completely different. Arrow weight helps but spine and tuning is more important. broad head design is important too. I've had good success with fixed blade for everything but dismal results with expandables on hog (even small ones). Sheep and goat anything goes except the old Hoyt chuck it's. Had the blades stuck in wool and arrow flying back at me.

bottom line tune the bow correctly, choose the right heads, put it where it counts within reasonable ranges and you should be fine. Shafts only carry the heads there. Tuning helps you put it where it counts.
S

You should be able to rotate your nocks to whatever position you need them by the method you described. Unless by some chance they have been glued in. But they shouldn't have been done Some are very tight though. I've got no experience with the arrows that you're using. But I have used the magnus stingers quite a bit . They shoot very well when tuned straight with your cock feather . You can achieve this easily with a small rubber o-ring slid up on the broad head .
As far as the crossbow you really need to get crossbow bolts for it . In my opinion instead of shooting full length arrows I've never seen where shooting full length arrows through a crossbow is a good idea. Not saying it can't be done , just don't see a good reason for it . Crossbow bolts vary from 20-23 inches in length and are built specifically for the stress that a crossbow will put on them.