Armalite 50 BMG any tips?

WEATHERBY460

I am purchasing a Armalite BMG (new) and can you recommend any tips to make it shoot well. I will not reload for this gun at this time, so are there any affordable ammo I can consider? Also, are there any gunsmithing mods I should consider doing? Thanks

There is very little about a 50 that is "affordable" if you are not loading your own. Even getting setup to load is a fairly high priced proposition.

First place to start is Ammoseek 50bmg ammo rifle

American Eagle and Federal XM33C for "Plinking"
Hornady for serious accuracy

There are others who can comment more. I have to reload because I use a 50DTC

If you're looking for accuracy, any ammo loaded with the 750gr A-Max at about 2750-2800 fps would be a great starting point.

The AR-50 is a great gun and capable of better accuracy than most factory ammo will allow. I don't really think there's a whole lot that needs to be done to most of them to make them good shooters. Just feed it good ammo and get used to the blast and it should shoot great for you.

I am purchasing a Armalite BMG (new) and can you recommend any tips to make it shoot well. I will not reload for this gun at this time, so are there any affordable ammo I can consider? Also, are there any gunsmithing mods I should consider doing? Thanks

Hello weatherby460,

Are you getting a new model or any older model by chance?
Do you have Armalites "match chamber" or their standard military chamber?

Also just fwiw---Allied Precision Arms is considered by many AR50 shooters to be one of the "go to" sources for AR50 modifications/accessories.

THEIS

Seems a little like asking what you can do to make your new Ferrari cheaper to drive, and if we have a suggestion on how to make it comfortable to you.....

So, are there any mods that YOU want done? It's your rifle, do what you want with it.

double hearing protection , plugs in nose concusion travels up sinuses. Consistent ammo is another concern along with shooting position/recoil anticipation. Maybe you can polish the trigger. Where do you plan to shoot?

Hello weatherby460,

Are you getting a new model or any older model by chance?
Do you have Armalites "match chamber" or their standard military chamber?

Also just fwiw---Allied Precision Arms is considered by many AR50 shooters to be one of the "go to" sources for AR50 modifications/accessories.

THEIS

Its the cheaper model with the standard chamber, but it is the newest model...I hope. AR50A1B

Its the cheaper model with the standard chamber, but it is the newest model...I hope. AR50A1B

Hello

For great quality ammunition without having to reload your own; I would suggest contacting Randy Powell at Thunder Ammo.

As far as recoil and muzzle blast.....The recoil is not but bad the muzzle blast can cause the "anticipation" before trigger breaks for shot. Best thing for that is suppressor but if that is not in the lineup for you right now then you can always build one of the various forms of muzzle blast mitigation shields that people use with the 50s.

THEIS

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.