Armadillos

Don't know if these Armadillos are considered "Varmints" or "Pests".
We have them all over in this part of GA and our YARD.
Probably shot 3 dozen over the past years around 3-4 AM. I would be going on a business trip and leaving early and these suckers would be running around when I would turn on the outside lights and go to my vehicle. I would sometimes shoot them with my CCW. The next day (or at the time) I would have a neighbors from 1/3 mile away call and say "Len are you shooting Yotes or hogs in your yard in the middle of the night" or you OK. Seems like someone always knows who is shooting or shots fired. We had some home invasions about 5-6 miles away and we had an incident here so everyone checks on everyone.
Been seeing the yard all dug up lately. Jill was just outside and several of these buggers scared her when she was going to the Garbage can. Well you know the rest. Jill yelled at me to get rid of them. I grabbed the 223 SBR with light & Laser and went out. Saw two next to a big brush pile. Shot one flipped him up and then shot the second going into the brush pile. Will go out tomorrow and see if there is carcasses before the Yotes get them. Don't want to walk around in the woods at this time of the night.-
They are the only living animal that carry's Leprocy, maybe 1 in 10 may have it but who wants to take that chance, be careful handling the dead ones, use plastic gloves if possible.

Growing up in Louisiana, we used to kill them by the wheelbarrow load. Also found out they were great for blowing stumps. Had an uncle that had a farm that showed me how to use them. If you have a stump to get rid of, start a sloping hole under the stump and get it about a foot and a half to two feet deep. Get an armadillo and some dynamite with an appropriate length of fuse and lash the dynamite to the dillo's tail. Stick him headfirst into the hole and let him start digging. Light the fuse and back off to watch the fireworks. Keep a 22 handy in case the dillo decides to back out of the hole.

These buggers can jump 4-5' straight up in the air in a fraction of a second. It's like they have a coiled spring in their feet.
I just got out my coyote rig with NV and Thermal along with a shooting chair. Will be more ready than last night and be looking for some tonight. We have rain coming in and they like to be out digging holes for worms/grubs/insects.
Yeah, that's their response to being frightened. Really sucks when its a truck that scares them.😁

This was sent to me from a missionary friend in South America. They grow em big down there

1653921408955.png

I reside in S.Utah, where a lot of the critters you talk about, such as armadillos, hogs and tree squirrels aren't. However, before Route 66 turned into I-40, there used to be a wide spot in the road at Jackrabbit. They imported a lot of stuff for a petting zoo; Llamas , goats, rabbits ( not jacks, cute ones) and armadillos, the big ones. Wasn't long before the 'dillos decided to break out of jail, burrowed their way to freedom, into the mouths of hungry coyotes, who had no idea what they were but were tasty. So much for Arizona armadillos! If you ever travel I-40, and if Jackrabbit is still there, pull off the interstate, get a cold drink, and think about what this country was like in the early 60s.

Recent Posts