Arken scopes opinions

D78B3467-2994-4988-95C0-EAC006F05D38.jpegF9B741EB-1718-4F54-BF5D-05FFBE3E6442.jpegSet the Arken SH4 Gen2 4-16x50 out next to the Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 yesterday. For the most part when comparing the two side by side I kept the magnification as close to the same as possible, and then sometimes went all up or down. Also my work computer will not let me respond or add pictures so I'm doing an abbreviated version on my phone.
The Arken is almost 1" longer and 60% heavier (not counting rings). Eye relief seemed more consistent with the Arken compared to the over 1" change in the MK4. FOV was substantially bigger (as spec'ed) in the Arken, especially at lower powers. The Arken had a better image and color, it just popped out at you went going back and forth. I will say this is towards the center of the image but then had more distortion towards the fringes. I have a hard time hunting while facing anywhere towards the sun with the lower Vortex Viper models (HST and such) due to glare washing the picture out, so I checked these two against each other. Both did well with the Arken slightly having the edge. However at higher mag there was more noticeable color fringing with the Arken. The eye box on the Arken is more forgiving and easier to get behind. The Arken's illumination is pretty weak, but still there. The Arken had a slight edge in lower light.

I know these two scopes are not exactly comparable, but it is all I had in the same power (except an older Falcon Menace 4-14x44 that doesn't compare on any level).

Leupold Pros:
Time tested, we use these on our Barrett .50 calls with very little issues
Better clarity at edges
Waayyy lighter
More elevation/wind adjustments
30mm tube vs 34mm

Arken Pros:
$400
Easier to get behind
Better FOV
Modern design and features- ED glass, FFP, enhanced MRAD reticle ("Christmas tree, but not too cluttered)
Illumination (center cross/dot only), Zero Stop, matching turrets/reticle

I know I probably missed something so ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Last edited:
I would want thicker lines in thick woods. One thing I'm not impressed with at all is the illumination on this scope, it hasn't got much going on even at the highest level. If the illumination were brighter I wouldn't mind the thinner reticle at lower power.
There is also no phone number to call and ask. I will send them an email and solicit a response. Must not have a call center yet.😁

I would want thicker lines in thick woods. One thing I'm not impressed with at all is the illumination on this scope, it hasn't got much going on even at the highest level. If the illumination were brighter I wouldn't mind the thinner reticle at lower power.
There is also no phone number to call and ask. I will send them an email and solicit a response. Must not have a call center yet.😁
Thanks for those insights Bravo 4. That does clear up what job those scope would be the most appropriate for. It sounds like a lot of scope for the money. I'm in the high desert with forests nearby. A thin reticle and low illumination might be a problem. The rest of the scope sounds promising especially for the price point.

I have the feeling there is an issue with this particular scope's illumination. Guess we will find out how their customer service is.
I didn't think that there might be an issue. And now that you mention it I don't recall hearing anyone complain about the illumination. I'll have to watch some of the reviews again.

Ok so far customer service is good, sent an email and got a text about 10 minutes later. Told me to take cap off, remove battery and clean unit with a qtip. It works and illumination is a little better, just not daylight friendly at lower power magnification (as per our conversation). I would definitely use this, just realized the reticle is not gonna jump out at you on low power and in the woods.781D67DA-4139-4078-A834-49EBA11B23E7.png

I looked on their website and they say a 30mm tube and 21 ounces. But it sounds like you have a 34mm tube and is heavier?

I watched a few reviews and yes the ret is not daylight bright. Mostly lower light illumination.

This might still be a scope that I'd be interested in. It would work for varmints in the desert or long range hunting. At least for me. A SFP might be a better option for me as a all around scope.

Recent Posts