Arizona 12a archery

htime8

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole but maybe just some areas to try. We won't get but a day or two of scouting in before season starts because we're coming from ND. Any pointers would be appreciated!

8, there is a 80,000 acre fire in that unit. It's almost contained. Check online for the area burned and I'd guess the wildlife will have moved east of that. Good luck

I assume the archery hunt is pretty early in the season so most likely most of the deer will still be up high. That area should not be impacted much by what is on fire right now.

Thanks for the info. I had heard there was a fire but wasn't sure how large of an area.

Plenty of deer on the Kaibab. No need to scout. The burn wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It burned under the trees in most areas, and just scorched the ground. The recent rains, have already started new growth. We've seen deer in the new burn already too. Good luck on the hunt.

Good luck on your hunt, the Kaibab is an awesome place to hunt. And it is hard to get drawn for!! My son in law hunted it a couple of years ago. He saw lots of deer, but he was new to archery and didn't connect. But he puts in every year and hasn't got drawn since!

12A means Mule Deer. Hunt near water, pray for rain/snow and be ready for hunting pressure. They will water after dark so look for trails to ambush early and late. Start with high altitude early, go lower later in the season. Because there are so many hunters who want to go there, I no longer take the trip. For archery, I look for out of the way, productive areas based on AZGF data and friends. Be patient and good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.