Area canines ruin another day of hunting.

MiiisterAnderson

We own hunting property which is accessed by an easement through a neighbors property. They have lived there their entire lives and have introduced us to many of the neighbors whose property surround ours. We are in contact with them when we are down there and are on friendly terms with everyone. We also maintain multiple cell connected cameras for game tracking and security.

On several occasions, we will see the same 3-4 dogs on our property (all over, 160 ac). Normally, this is of no consequence, but we've had two days of hunting ruined so far. It happened last year and again this year where the dogs were running whitetail out of the area. I watched them chase a buck Id been stalking off our property and listened to them yap incessently, running all over for about three hours in and around our property.

Outside of knocking on doors of every house within reasonable distance of our place, we've tried to locate the owners. I've sent out photos of the dogs to all the neighbors we know and asked them to share with their neighbors but no one can ID them. They dont appear to have tags or collars.

I dislike having my hunting vacation days ruined by what appears to be someone else's inconsiderate action of letting their dogs run rampant during hunting season. Does this get chalked up to bad luck or are there other actions that are justified for this kind of situation?

you did your due diligence with looking for their owners. their owners don't give a &*%$ for their pets, or your property rights. It will continue.

My first inclination would be to shoot them. Not sure if it's legal or not; ask a lawyer.

*****the dogs, not the owners

I wouldn't shoot them to kill but burn them with some rock salt. I would hunt them, burn em to run them off my property. You could also set out traps to catch them. Get the game warden involved. If all else fails you'll have to do what you have to do & take riflehunter1776's advice.

I own 3 dogs but it is understood where I'm from if your dog runs stock or game on someone else's place they can be shot. Our sheriff backs this up. If you call the game warden he will shoot them if they are running game as well. At least in this county.
I speak from experience, my neighbor killed a dog of ours a few years back for running his sheep. My fault, didn't control my pet. That's his livelihood, 'nuff said

Choot em!
I love a good dog. Have no use for the ones you describe.
My neighbors get one or two warnings,after that I take care of it.

If you can't get a bullet in them, I'd set traps for them when I was physically on the property, and able to check the traps. They're feral dogs. Not humans. Easy solution...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.