Are you shooting as much with the ammo shortage ?

One of my good friends owns 6 indoor firing ranges .One got burnt down and cost $500000 to rebuild now no one is shooting .I don't even develop loads any more and I am trading new powders for my old load powders .These swap meets are awesome no money just straight across swaps then no shipping tax or hazmat fees .We need to set some up for this site .I have tons of stuff I don't use .I am not paying $300 to $475 for 1000 primers .
I have to come up with new ideas to teach these kids to shoot but it's got harder and harder .Our country bought a skeet range for 4h and didbt test it and they shot on to people's houses gotta sell it .I grew up shooting 4h with model 52 Winchester rifles .I still think the six shots with each rifke and taking about 6 different ones is a good idea .

I have a large stockpile of ammo that I've been buildng for 30 years. I don't know how many you are allowed to have without the atf getting interested, but I have less than whatever that number is alphabet bois..

But yeah, I normally shoot quite a bit in the next few months between the cold and the ridiculous summer heat, but it will definitely be scaled back this year. I also shot significantly less in the fall than I normally do. I am still hunting a few days a week, and I want to go to Texas or Oklahoma to shoot pigs one day soon, (if I can ever find a good spot), and I don't hesitate to tap my supply to hunt. I hope this garbage ends soon though

Got a new rifle at Christmas and just now got it zeroed in and hunting season is over. Not shooting near what I used to and I have a 100 meter range at my house. Nothing on the shelves at LGS's. Plenty of shotgun shells though. Guess I need to take up skeet shooting.

Can't shoot what you don't have. Can't find components and the little I have will be set aside for hunting. I don't see it getting any better with most folks concerned with the countries new administration, therefore the hoarding.

I started shooting more small bore again this last year. The last big shortage pushed a lot of places around me to make rimfire a permanent part of competitions, so the MP .22LRs come out to play more often instead of the 5.56/300BLK and 9mm.

I wish my club would do formal 22 ELR competitions. I understand that they're worried about average idiots skipping .22s off the rocks on the 300 yard range and not getting the bullet into the berm, so the blanket "no rimfire" rule makes sense. But maybe if I can get them to bend to a formal competition that's supervised, then they can see some of us aren't mentally challenged. 22s will teach you some things about wind.

I enjoy teaching people with a 300 BLK bolt action because you can magnify ballistic arcs using subs, at a range where if you hand them a full power rounds they can stack 5 inside an inch the same day. You can shoot a LOT of 300 BLK from a bolt for cheap.

Last edited:
Haven't really slowed down much personally, as my reloading supplies are strong. However, the club that I frequent (clay targets) has seen a steep decline mainly because most of the fellas probably stop by walmart on their way out on the day of and pickup a 4 pack to use for the day. The volume guys are still out, but the 3-times a month guys are disappearing. I worry about the solvency of the club.

I don't shoot competitions, and usually just work on a new coyote rifle each year in the spring for the next season. I will shoot a few hundred rounds typically unless there is a good pdog trip thrown in. So I'm set for several years at that pace but I still hate shooting what I can't replace.

I have picked up the shotguns more lately as cheap target ammo is still available and I need to work on moving targets more.

I started shooting home cast bullets out of my Colts to keep trigger time up. With the rifles I've been sticking to varmint calibers where the powder lasts a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.